Photo
- - - - -

December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World, by Craig Shirley

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AFSgt

AFSgt

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Has anyone read this yet? There's a small, really small, blurb today about it. The article titleimplies that FDR knew more than has been let on, but the excerpts from the book in the article reveal nothing new as far as I can see.

"In anticipation of open conflict with this country, Japan is vigorously utilizing every available agency to secure military, naval and commercial information, paying particular attention to the West Coast, the Panama Canal and the Territory of Hawaii."

Well yeah, of course they would be looking at any way to gather intellegence, just as we were doing. But again, I think the headline was just selling the article, without regard to the books revelations.

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,212 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

See a similar post here. http://www.ww2f.com/...aii-attack.html I've not read the book, but I think we're beating a dead horse. There are many threads on this topic. I would suggest you and others use the Search function, particularly threads begun by our own Opana Pointer.

image001.png

Lou

#3 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

The most often seen blurb for the book leaves me unimpressed.

From December 1, 1941, until the morning of December 7, 1941, America was at peace and - with the exception of the stubborn and persistent high unemployment of the Great Depression - was a relatively happy country. By the afternoon of the December 7 attack on Pearl Harbor, America was a radically changed country, forever. Its isolationist impulses evaporated, and both major political parties became more or less internationalist. The month also introduced food and gas rationing(A national system for food rationing was introduced May 4, 1942, nationalized gas rationing was not introduced until December 1, 1942), Victory Gardens(Around since World War I), scrap drives, a military draft(the Selective Training and Service Act was signed into law on September 19, 1940 - It was America's first peacetime draft), and the conversion of Detroit into an "arsenal of democracy."(Actually begun during the summer of 1941, so that the US could supply itself and Great Britain with tanks) From the moment of America's entry into World War II, people of all kinds, but mostly women looking for work, flooded into the city. Instant apartment buildings sprang up, as did eating and drinking salons, all to the advantage of the massive increase in spending generated by the federal government. December 1941 is a fascinating and meticulously researched look at the American home front - her people, faith, economy, government, and culture - during a month that radically changed the American way of life.

My comments are those in bold, much of the rest is just "fluff"

But, then again, it is the publisher that writes this drivel, not the author.

I'll probably leaf through a copy at Barnes & Nobel, but. at the moment, it is not going on my bookshelves.

#4 AFSgt

AFSgt

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

See a similar post here. http://www.ww2f.com/...aii-attack.html I've not read the book, but I think we're beating a dead horse. There are many threads on this topic. I would suggest you and others use the Search function, particularly threads begun by our own Opana Pointer.

My question wasn't really about beating a dead horse, just to find out if anyone HAD read this book, AND if there really was anything new in it as implied by the title of the article I read. As the article I read said it was a new book, I didn't figure there would be anything to search for. Sorry for wasting your time.

#5 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,212 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

Not a waste of time. I just was pointing out that the issue of what Roosevelt knew has been discussed here before. I would suspect that the book has nothing new to offer. Check with OpanaPointer to see if he has read it.

image001.png

Lou

#6 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

Has anyone read this yet? There's a small, really small, blurb today about it. The article titleimplies that FDR knew more than has been let on, but the excerpts from the book in the article reveal nothing new as far as I can see.

"In anticipation of open conflict with this country, Japan is vigorously utilizing every available agency to secure military, naval and commercial information, paying particular attention to the West Coast, the Panama Canal and the Territory of Hawaii."

Well yeah, of course they would be looking at any way to gather intellegence, just as we were doing. But again, I think the headline was just selling the article, without regard to the books revelations.

I haven't read it, and don't plan to. I've gotten private reviews of it, I'll ask if they can be posted here. The information about the Japanese intelligence gathering has been available since at least the 1970s. The "Magic" Background To Pearl Harbor

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
Pearl Harbor Attack Message Board
Veteran: USN, 1969-1989

#7 AFSgt

AFSgt

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

Yeah, I know the intelligence info has been available for a long time. It's just that the headline writer must have gotten carried away because it was something along the lines of, FDR told of invasion of Pearl days before attack. That is what I was asking about. The blurb with in the article then went into the intelligence gathering, but I was also curious if there was more info in the book that WAS new.

#8 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, I know the intelligence info has been available for a long time. It's just that the headline writer must have gotten carried away because it was something along the lines of, FDR told of invasion of Pearl days before attack. That is what I was asking about. The blurb with in the article then went into the intelligence gathering, but I was also curious if there was more info in the book that WAS new.

Don't know about the book, but that idea that FDR knew about the attack goes back to the day of the attack at least. One senator is quoted as saying "FDR lured them into attacking" or words to that effect. The FDR-hating had trumped rational thought for some folks by that point. It scares me that we let people like that run our country.

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
Pearl Harbor Attack Message Board
Veteran: USN, 1969-1989

#9 ULITHI

ULITHI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Surprisingly, since I didnt ask for it) I got the book at Christmas from the in-laws.I heared the Author being interviewed, and he did mention "the new evidence", but he did add in his words "In Roosevelt's defense" how little there was to actually go one and he went on to draw a comparison to what we knew about getting hit by al queda before 911 -"they were probably going to hit us, but we don't know when and where".Whether that carries over into the book, I don't know. Or if that comparison can even be made justly, I don't know. I might give the book a try, and ask around here if I find some suspicious history.
Have a good one,
Darren

#10 GrandsonofAMarine

GrandsonofAMarine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

I received the book for Christmas as well. I think I'll read 'At Dawn We Slept" first before reading this book.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users