Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 in Korea

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by archaeologist5, Dec 22, 2011.

1. archaeologist5

archaeologist5 recruit

I have done several searches already about this topic to see if I could find anything and the only thread that was close was the one on apologizing for any guilt. Do any of you have any information of allied participation in Korea during WW2?

Credible and good links would be appreciated.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. archaeologist5

archaeologist5 recruit

Actually it was 1910. Thanks for the links

4. lwd

lwd Ace

The Soviets invaded very late war. That's the main reason Korea ended up divided. Koreans were also incorporated into the Japanese army (not sure if it was all volenteer or a mix of that and draft although there was at least some coersion affecting the "volenteer" aspect from what I've read. Not sure if they were accepted as regular soldiers or just for filling menial positions. Mention is made of Korean guards at a number of the POW camps as well. I've also read of US bombing raids targeting Japanese positions in Korea.

5. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Koreans were frequently used as laborers. They comprised a large proportion of the small numbers of prisoners taken in various island battles.