Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spitfire Crash site Rusthall, Kent

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Roland2937, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Roland2937

Roland2937 recruit

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for my request.

I am looking for any information concerning the crash of a spitfire close by Rusthall primary school in Kent which occured during the 1940's.
    I am sorry but I cannot provide any more detail than that.

Regards,

Roland

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

3. Icare9

Icare9 Member

A quick Google came up with a Mosquito....?
    S/Ldr. Dart DFC ex 204 Sunderlands was killed flying a 703 Naval Air Squadron Mosquito. The following details from Colin Cummings' 'The Price of Peace':

21/3/46 - Mosquito XXXIII, TW235 of 703 Naval Air Squadron crashed at Rust Hall, Kent. Sqd/Ldr Kenneth Charles Daymond Dart DFC 42397 RAFVR. Lost control of the aircraft during low level aerobatics and the Mosquito dived into the ground. He was the sole occupant of the aircraft.

Otherwise looks as if you need to do a bit more research to pin down date etc...
    Of course, W/C Bob Doe, DFC and bar, had his home there, not getting confused about that?

4. Roland2937

Roland2937 recruit

Thank you for the information. My two witnesses were young children at the time and the dates they gave me were quite different. However, 1946 fits with one of them so it is probable that they were mistaken and it was a mosquito and not a spitfie.

Regards,

Roland

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'm glad you got your info...as an aside, it just shows again that every crashed WWII Allied aircraft was a 'Spitfire' just as every downed German aircraft was - of course ;) - a 'Messerschmitt'......