Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New member intro...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Lanman61, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Lanman61

Lanman61 Member

Hi all,

My name is John LaBua and just signed up to this forum. I live in Glendale, AZ and am a USAF vet (81-86). I will be posting some questions concerning both my fathers service, my brothers service (although his is more recent and a little easier to understand) and also my mother's (yes, she was a WWII vet also!) service. I have finally located/obtained everyones WD AGO Form 53-55's and DD214 and will say that original records were lost (for both parents anyway) according to the NPRC in the 1973 fire. Since all three are deceased now, there is no way to go back and ask directly and hope that a few members with experience will be able to help trace some of their military careers from the data on their discharges. I have heard some stories from family members concerning dad's service but none are supported by the limited info given on the forms on hand and so I hope to find some facts to either refute or support the stories. Also, I have a vacation planned to Iowa in August of this year and will be making a side trip to St Louis at the end of this vacation to pay a personal visit to NPRC for any additional research I can accomplish. Any suggestions as to how much in advance I should contact them to schedule an appointment (their website says one is necessary to insure they are able to provide the info requested)? I will also try to verify that I received a complete copy of my brothers file (I am considered next-of-kin) and so will have to make two appointments as his records are not yet archived and are in a different section (or something like that).

The immediate question is this: What is the best/easiest/quickest way to copy the info, redact those areas not necessary to show (for privacy purposes) and post thier forms in a message here for you to view? Software, format, resolution, etc would be helpful. I have a better than average computer skills set and software such as MS Office, and a full page scanner so any suggestions would be welcome.

Some other errands require attention so will check back after awhile and see what happens here.

Thanks!

John

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Welcome to this forum. You can post pictures or documents via a buffer site like Photobucket, imageschack etc...
    . Typed texts can be pasted directly.
    If you have private documents you only wish to share with some members, you can contact hem via a private message and send the docs to them .

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

John, welcome to the forum!

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

G'day and welcome aboard.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. We're a friendly bunch so feel free to jump in. As far as the posts are concerned, you can simply cover up those areas you wish kept private, then scan and post the whole document. It is helpful to us if we can see the original. I would hope that Dave sees this (kerrd5) as he might be able to answer the rest of your questions. Good luck, and thanks.

7. 693FA

693FA Member

John, welcome and thanks for your service!

8. Lanman61

Lanman61 Member

Thanks to all who replied. I have asked my questions and posted some photos of documents on the forum area for Geneology Military Service Record & Genealogical Research

I know there must be an easier way to put that link in here, so if a moderator happens by, try to forgive the probie.... ;-)

John

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the forum, John. Hopefully, we will be able to help you in your research. And thank you for your service and your family's service.

10. Alaskarat

Alaskarat Member

Hi, welcome and thank you for your service sir.

11. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Welcome aboard! Gonna echo the above sentiments and say thanks for your service, and please accept our thanks on behalf of your family members! Scanning docs to your computer is probably the best way to go, either save it as a .jpg or .pdf file (.jpg being easier to edit out personal info, unless you have a full-blown copy of Adobe Acrobat). I would use whatever photo program you have for editing photos, and use the paintbrush or spraypaint can option (heck, even MS Paint has that!) and cover over the restricted info. That way we can see the pertinent parts of the original documents. After five posts, I believe, your option to post photos opens up, just reply or start a new thread, and click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right below the text box, then scroll down a bit and look for "Manage Attachments". This will bring up the browser window to browse and attach files. It seems like a lot of work at first, but actually is pretty darn easy once you start posting stuff.

12. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Hi there John and welcome to the forum :)

13. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

howdy,welcome to the forum