Photo
- - - - -

Hello from Andy Moore! New member and Co-Creator of Flying Fortress Comic Book!

wwii

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hi Everyone! I'm a brand-new member and I'm pleased to drop in and tell you a little about myself!

Here's my new-member questionnaire!

1. Your Name: I'm Andy! As a kid, there were lots of Andys in all my school classes so my name became all one word: AndyMoore!

2. Age: I am in my late twenties, and I've been interested in WWII since I was a youngster hearing stories about my grandfather's Army air service (he was in training when the war ended.) Also a healthy dose of Indiana Jones and The Rocketeer as a kiddo ignited my imagination!

3. Origins: I'm Originally from The Air Capital - Wichita, Kansas. I now live in Beautiful Boulder, Colorado (But- I made sure to be just far enough north to be outside of the 'People's Republic,' haha!)

4. Specifics: With my involvement in Flying Fortress Comic Book, B-17s tend to be my main focus right now. I'm also in love with P-38s, V-2 rockets (I used to be Creative Design Manager at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center and my office was around the corner from the Peenemünde exhibit with one each of all the V weapons!)

5. Hobbies: First off, I'm a professional cartoonist, so my work feels like a hobby! I draw a college-themed comic strip called Don't Panic! (dontpaniccomic.com)
I am also a Co-Creator of Flying Fortress Comic Book which is an independent, creator-owned alternate history WWII pulp adventure! SO much fun...

6. Other: I'm a huge fan of the Art Deco, Bauhaus and Dada art movements, and have lots of love for the retro sci-fi future. I also follow my Wichita State Shockers basketball with great gusto, and love to go trail and long distance running.

7. Miscellaneous: I'm so proud that we're publishing a collected edition of Flying Fortres Comic Book, and I hope that all of our research has gone to good use! And we're not done with our research, so you'll probably find me sneaking around any B-17 forum threads and the parts about V-2s!

Last but not least- here's my latest comic book cover artwork you all might enjoy!

Attached File  02_Main_Cover_Web.jpg   110.39KB   9 downloads

I can't wait to meet everyone!
Andy

#2 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,847 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Welcome Andy, good to have you about the joint.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#3 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

Thanks!

#4 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

G'day AndyMoore!
A man after my own heart! I also illustrate...and being a WW2 geek, at least half of it is WW2 themed...mostly but not limited to aircraft (fighters though) Although i DID just design a four engined Japanese Long Range Bomber using (ripped off) Junkers engines and then the same design reduced by 6 feet and 004 jets! I like your style, exacting despite a simplified form...how long before you settled on a good explosion design?? Still havent settled on one myself. - Rocketeer worked on me as well...i think they could have taken it way further though...ever get the feeling "Iron Man" movie borrowed heavily from it?
Gosh Witchita (witchita linesman - a fav) And the famous Kansas, home of Dorothy "and your little dog too!" Then Boulder Colorado...(Wasnt that Mork's home?) or was that Buffalo? (Beautiful place Colorado - from what i see of the many movies set there).
I cannot find the words to say how much i envy (hate) you for your old job...be a dream job for me. Did you design anything....cool? or was that not your function?
And lastly, good onya for keeping WW2 and the great B-17 in people's consciousness.
  • andymoore likes this
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#5 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

welcome to the forum Andy.
  • andymoore likes this
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#6 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to the forums Andy!
  • andymoore likes this
Regards,

Gordon

#7 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

G'day CAC!

Yeah the Cosmosphere was an amazingly epic place - It's a hidden treasure in Kansas, for sure! (I dunno if there could be a cooler gig!) I did a whole bunch of cool art there: I designed the visuals for a playable Flight Sim replica of the Lunar Module and Space Shuttle using archive blueprints and photos. (and a short walk over to Apollo 13 herself!) I did all their advertising and marketing campaigns, helps oversee the new website design (cosmo.org) and was able to go to NASA a few times for our future astronaut "space camp-esque" program! Also fun was going to the spacecraft storage locations (Undisclosed warehouses with real and replica Capsules and V-2s inside? Yes, please!!!)

Thanks for the kind words about the art- I think after about a year, I've finally gotten a workable explosion style, but not 100% locked in forever. The same for prop washes- they change literally on every panel, haha!

Yeah, I sure did upgrade from Toto in OZ to Mork. If I ever move again, I have quite a trend to uphold!

Do you have a link to your work so I could see it- sounds great!

A

#8 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

welcome to the forum Andy.

Thanks, belasar!

#9 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Welcome to the forums Andy!

Thanks, Gordon. I'm excited to start exploring- I've already found some wonderful stuff!

A

#10 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,565 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Welcome to the forum,
I've raved about the Cosmosphere in a few posts :) Great Place ! We visited years ago and it's good to meet someone who worked there. Although I'll admit I was rather disappointed : some Nascar Redneck movie was playing in the I-Max ? Spent most of the time walking the Apollo exhibits.

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

#11 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Welcome to the forum,
I've raved about the Cosmosphere in a few posts :) Great Place ! We visited years ago and it's good to meet someone who worked there. Although I'll admit I was rather disappointed : some Nascar Redneck movie was playing in the I-Max ? Spent most of the time walking the Apollo exhibits.

Thanks Biak! Yeah, I was blessed to never have that one play while I worked there, haha. They always plan to have a space film running, too- even when the main feature is a new Imax film. (I still miss the dome Imax afternoon 'lunch breaks!') When was the last time you were there? They just opened a new wing of the Hall of Space Museum and I did some of the early production graphics work on it!

A

#12 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,565 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Hi Andy, It was 2000 so another trip is way overdue. We only had a few hours to visit and I was just happy to cram in the amazing amount of Apollo and Soyuz exhibits. There was a movie playing on monitors - The Right Stuff maybe?, at nearly every corner around the halls. Still have my copy of "Light This Candle : Alan Shepard by Thornton and a SR-71 notebook I bought there. First time I was that close to the Blackbird too, so definitely left an impression :)

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

#13 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

The movie in the theater section (and piped around the Apollo Hall of Space) is "For All Mankind- The whole thing is on Hulu to watch streaming free! Hulu - For All Mankind - Watch the full movie now. The Criterion Dvd is stunning.

I loved the fact that as a kiddo who grew up playing with a giant SR-71 G.I. Joe toy, I could see a real one in the lobby anytime! Great stuff, for sure.

#14 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,202 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Enjoy your stay at this fine site, your illustration looks promissing.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#15 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

Enjoy your stay at this fine site, your illustration looks promissing.

Roger that, Skipper! Thanks for the kind words about the art!

#16 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Welcome aboard, Andy. Hey, and thanks for sharing the cover artwork, Andy. :D

I'd like to add that it is refreshing to see someone calling them comic books instead of "graphic novels". ;)

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#17 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Welcome aboard, Andy. Hey, and thanks for sharing the cover artwork, Andy. :D

I'd like to add that it is refreshing to see someone calling them comic books instead of "graphic novels". ;)

Thanks, Tommy776! Ha, yeah we figured that if the comic is all-out guns blazing fantasy/pulp adventure with a lost world of knights and zombies in the 40s we better darn well call it a comic book! Just seems right, haha!

-Andy

#18 Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Hey there Andy and welcome! Your comic book seems pretty awesome to me :)

#19 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hey there Andy and welcome! Your comic book seems pretty awesome to me :)

Thanks, Spitfire_XIV! We're pretty happy with it, and can't wait for our collected book to be ready in a month and a half!

#20 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

G'day CAC!

Yeah the Cosmosphere was an amazingly epic place - It's a hidden treasure in Kansas, for sure! (I dunno if there could be a cooler gig!) I did a whole bunch of cool art there: I designed the visuals for a playable Flight Sim replica of the Lunar Module and Space Shuttle using archive blueprints and photos. (and a short walk over to Apollo 13 herself!) I did all their advertising and marketing campaigns, helps oversee the new website design (cosmo.org) and was able to go to NASA a few times for our future astronaut "space camp-esque" program! Also fun was going to the spacecraft storage locations (Undisclosed warehouses with real and replica Capsules and V-2s inside? Yes, please!!!)

Thanks for the kind words about the art- I think after about a year, I've finally gotten a workable explosion style, but not 100% locked in forever. The same for prop washes- they change literally on every panel, haha!

Yeah, I sure did upgrade from Toto in OZ to Mork. If I ever move again, I have quite a trend to uphold!

Do you have a link to your work so I could see it- sounds great!

A

Your next move should be....Springfield. (Actually i went to Springfield Primary).
No link to my work sorry...its more about design than asthetic value...would look foolish compared to your work...I like also that you use complex angles, takes far longer and for someone like me can take some courage to attempt...just a sign of "your" ability. What are your thoughts on the Commando comic series?

#21 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Great to meet you, Andy. Look forward to your posts, and will the book be available online?
Kicking up dust since 1978

#22 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

Your next move should be....Springfield. (Actually i went to Springfield Primary).
No link to my work sorry...its more about design than asthetic value...would look foolish compared to your work...I like also that you use complex angles, takes far longer and for someone like me can take some courage to attempt...just a sign of "your" ability. What are your thoughts on the Commando comic series?

Those Commando books are awesome, aren't they! I'm jealous of all their art, and want every issue!
A

#23 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

Those Commando books are awesome, aren't they! I'm jealous of all their art, and want every issue!
A

I think yours in on par...better than some even. You can get BIG books nowadays with 10 or so comics inside...usually based around a theme...my favourite is the ANZAC edition...10 awesome Aussie stories...well, aussie from a poms point of view! Flam'n this and Flam'n that!

#24 andymoore

andymoore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Great to meet you, Andy. Look forward to your posts, and will the book be available online?

Thanks, luketdrifter! We do have books available online- the single issues are on amazon for the Kindle, graphicly and available directly from us (and and so will March's Vol. 1 collection)

We also just released a trailer for Flying Fortress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf12L_ov6ko

Edited by andymoore, 16 January 2012 - 06:33 AM.
Links!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wwii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users