Photo
- - - - -

I know his birthday isn't until Tuesday,...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

But I just found this section, and figured I really should share it with the group. I was thinking about the athletes whose choice of religion worked against them, and without doubt Ali suffered after he switched from Baptist to Islam after gaining the championship crown from Sonny Liston.

The reason I say this is that his refusal to accept his drafting was one of the harshest penalties ever handed down, sentencing time, money and retaliation wise. Jail time, fines, and loss of the Heavyweight Title and being stripped of his boxing license happened to Muhammad Ali, I wonder if they would have happened to the good Baptist boy Cassius Clay?

Watch the videos, some great footage in there.

Goto:

Muhammad Ali Birthday: Boxing Icon Still 'The Greatest' As He Celebrates Turning 70 (VIDEO)

Edited by brndirt1, 16 January 2012 - 01:32 AM.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Still the Greatest!!
Kicking up dust since 1978

#3 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,911 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

I am no fan of M. Ali and never have been. He ran his mouth too much for my likings.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#4 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

I am no fan of M. Ali and never have been. He ran his mouth too much for my likings.

I felt the same way for years, then I started really watching him fight. He was a master, his "mouth" was one of his weapons both in and out of the ring. If you watch him real close, you will notice he does one thing without fail. As a "round winds down", he will always end up near or in his own corner when the bell rings.

The opponent has to walk to his corner while Ali just sits down and rests, energy lost, energy gained. He was a master in and of the ring.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#5 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

He ran his mouth....then ran all the way to the bank...becasue people like YOU wanted to see him go down.
A boxer here by the name of Anthony Mundane...okay Mundine has adopted the same strategy...turn muslim, say you're pretty and no one can hurt you...i payed to see Sven Otkie stand over his prone body snarling...
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#6 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

He was a showman before boxing had showmen. I'd love to have seen him fight RJJ in their primes...oh what a glorious fight that'd be.

#7 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,911 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

He ran his mouth....then ran all the way to the bank...becasue people like YOU wanted to see him go down.
A boxer here by the name of Anthony Mundane...okay Mundine has adopted the same strategy...turn muslim, say you're pretty and no one can hurt you...i payed to see Sven Otkie stand over his prone body snarling...

I can't recall ever watching him box. I don't like boxing to begin with and this his radio mouth, well that was just too much.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#8 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

:o - Lord knows what you must think of me then!
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#9 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

I love boxing...well I used to...the sweet science isn't anything like it was. I have a ton of old tapes of great fights...many Ali' fights included. I remember sitting through what felt like a hundred undercard bouts to watch Mike Tyson knock a guy out in a minute. I remember when Roy Jones was the best pound for pound guy with the biggest mouth. Max Kellerman announcing with Larry Merchant mumbling through 2938 darvocet induced nonsensical sentences...

#10 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,911 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

:o - Lord knows what you must think of me then!

I don't really think anything. People like what they like and as long as it is legal and moral, go for it.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#11 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

Is that whole moral thing a sticking point?

#12 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

His mouth was his weapon at times. Worked for him in the boxing world. His bark was worse than his bite there....unfortunately for others in the ring his bite was worse than his bark...As sporting hero's go he is still one of the greatest.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users