Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Steyr 1901 Rifle with Arisaka Type 30 Bayonet

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by Bls-fla, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bls-fla

Bls-fla recruit

My father recently passed away; he was a veteran of the CBI Theater and the Korean War. Of all his military adventures he seemed to have the most pride in his CBI experiences. He attended at least one and I believe two reunions. Typically he didn't talk about the war a lot, but in the last several years he opened up a little. WOW!! He left a rifle we've always believed he brought back from the CBI and I've been researching it; I'm hoping one of you can help me with a mystery. The rifle is clearly a Steyr 1901 produced in Austria; however, it's fitted with a bayonet clearly marked as a Japanese Arisaka Type 30. Did the Japanese purchase surplus Steyr rifles? Could it have been captured and modified to accept the Arisaka bayonet? I would appreciate any help I can get.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the forum, Bls-fla. Some photos would be helpful. :)

3. Bls-fla

Bls-fla recruit

I have attached 4 photos and I do have a hint, or maybe a theory. Although the rifle barrel is stamped Steyr 1901, it may actually be a Dutch Mannlicher 1895. Apparently the Japanese captured many of them from the Dutch in the Dutch East Indies and then modified them to accept the Arasaka Type 30 bayonet. So far it's the best theory I've heard. Actually it's the only theory I've heard.

Attached Files:

4. leccy1

leccy1 Member

Attached Files:

5. Bls-fla

Bls-fla recruit

That appears to be the rifle. Mine is definitely a rifle, it's 51 inches long and weighs about 10 pounds. There's no sign of any other markings other than the Steyr 1901 stamp and a serial number. Now I'll have to see where I can get in tracking the serial number. Thanks for the input and if you were over there with my Dad good on you. You guys truly were members of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation.