Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Utah

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by bomajoe, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bomajoe

bomajoe recruit

Hi everyone,
    My name is Joe. I've always enjoyed reading about history. One area that has always been on the top of my list to read about is WWII. Both of my grandparents served during the war. One was in the Air Force and the other was in the Navy.

I have read several books dealing with WWII in Europe. My favorite book dealing with this subject is The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. I really enjoyed the approach the author took in explaining the events within Germany and Europe that led up to the war and the explanation of the major events of the war. I have been hoping to find a book that takes a similar approach in explaining why Japan went to war and what it was hoping to achieve.

That is how I stumbled upon this site. I have already learned of several more books that I want to pick up and read from here in just the first few threads I've read. Hopefully I'll be able to find a book or two about Japan's role in the war from start to finish.

Thanks for letting me join you!

2. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh. There's a whole forum here devoted to books! Dive in with both feet!!! (we don't recommend going in head-first, someone's been tossing rocks in again, so you never know what you'll hit)

BTW, Welcome Aboard!

3. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Welcome, some fine folks here and they know their stuff.

KTK

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome and enjoy your stay with us on this fine forum. Lots of stuff about Europe and the rest of the world and many books and references too .

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Joe welcome to the forum. You might try John Toland's Rise and Fall of the Japanese Empire. A little dense but covers Japan much as Shirer did.

6. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Welcome to the Forum, Joe. I will second the good Bealsar's suggestion of reading Toland's work.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

8. bomajoe

bomajoe recruit

Thanks for the John Toland recommendation! This sounds like exactly the type of book I was looking for.

9. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Hi there Joe and welcome to the forum :)