Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bloody Foreigners

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Ken The Kanuck, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

2. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

A good find, Ken! Yes, the british...........

3. Markus Becker

Markus Becker Member

*hrmpf*

Waste of time if you ask me. I stopped half way because of:

-too much Hollywood acting, too little history. The ep. about Trafalgar was done much better.
    -too narrow focus. Where were the Czechs, Belgians, Americans and all the Colonials who never had been in the UK before?
    -too many myths. The RAF was loosing(they never did), they were outnumbered(except in the category of planes that mattered)...

The docu the BBC made was much, much better.

edit: fixed typos

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A nice testimony . Too bad they say it is "untold". In my opinion the Polish contribution is a well known fact, so is the contribution of other nations.

5. tomflorida

tomflorida Member

This was well know in Britain, but I growing up in communist Poland knew nothing about it.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Frantisec's story is quite well known in France (He is Czech by the way not Polish) . The Poles had their own squadron there too and flew the Dewoitine 520. There was another famous Frantisec in 312 Squadron (7 claims, 1 in France, 5 in the UK, one in the Red Army)

In France the Poles had their own insignia "Jeszce Polska Nie zgenela" and their group I/145 Varsovie led by Commandant Joseph kepinski scored 12 kills in June 1940. This explains why the poles kept saying "oui mon Commandant" to their Raf leaders .

Les insignes des escadrilles de chasse

7. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Sent it to my Uncle. He said that he flew with these boys and that they were very good and very vain.

He also said that there was a rumour that they were nipple biters. Don't ask me why he passed on that bit of info, maybe a combat flyboy could explain it to me.

KTK