• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lost knight

lost knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Best generals, tanks, guns and rifles, leaders, and so on. But who had the best songs?
Which were the best for each nation and best over all ? Very subjective but still worth a question perhaps.
Throw backs to WW1 allowed ... Tipperary, Lili Marleen, Wing and a Prayer, White Cliffs of Dover, American Patrol,T-34 ?
quite a list is possible.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon"
Napoleon

#2 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Glen Miller?
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#3 lost knight

lost knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

American Patrol was his hit I think.
Elvis did "Muss Ich Denn" in the 50's, but took it from the SS. Picked it up when he was in the Army, most likely.
I knew a non-German speaking Jewish person that liked the "Horst Wessel Lied" .. thought the tune was good.

This question came from seeing a video of "On a Wing and a Prayer" set to the return scene of Mephis Belle started in English and 1/2 thru switching to Russian.
Apparently it became a hit in the USSR in 43 as well as the US and UK.
Napoleon

#4 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

American Patrol was his hit I think.
Elvis did "Muss Ich Denn" in the 50's, but took it from the SS. Picked it up when he was in the Army, most likely.
I knew a non-German speaking Jewish person that liked the "Horst Wessel Lied" .. thought the tune was good.

This question came from seeing a video of "On a Wing and a Prayer" set to the return scene of Mephis Belle started in English and 1/2 thru switching to Russian.
Apparently it became a hit in the USSR in 43 as well as the US and UK.

Ive always like "We'll meet again"...
Lucky Ramstein wasnt around back then...
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#5 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

It's a little late (or early, depending on how you look at it), but I'll Be Home For Christmas is hard to beat.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#6 Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Every time WWII era music comes up I always think of this innovative German group that managed to take some of the traditions of the big band sound and put it together with the pre-WWII sounds of Germany to make something new that has kept both genres profitable and popular enough to get regular big bookings across the United States and Europe. You might like other songs he has done and must look around by doing a you tube search using his name Max Raabe. He has re-done many WWII era songs with big band class. For some reason I am quite partial to the violin section.:eek: Max Raabe Live - You're the cream in my coffee... - YouTube

#7 Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Every time WWII era music comes up I always think of this innovative German group that managed to take some of the traditions of the big band sound and put it together with the pre-WWII sounds of Germany to make something new that has kept both genres profitable and popular enough to get regular big bookings across the United States and Europe. You might like other songs he has done and must look around by doing a you tube search using his name Max Raabe. He has re-done many WWII era songs with big band class. For some reason I am quite partial to the violin section.:eek: Max Raabe Live - You're the cream in my coffee... - YouTube

Or his "Me and Jane in a plane!" Not his version but great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5LUU60dsxI
Regards, Ulrich

Horrido!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem!" LtGen. Chesty Puller.

#8 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,198 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Anything by Glenn Miller, but especially this:

image001.png

Lou

#9 lost knight

lost knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Take a look at the utube up load by < craigsmith48 > for a slide show that's unreal.
Lale Andersen, Anne Shelton, Marlene Dietrich, Andrew Sisters are all interesting song sites.
A Russian up load by < pycckuexyu wing and a prayer > is also worth a look, as is "Blood Upon the Risers" at "west point songs"
Lots of 'stuff to find around these sites.
Napoleon

#10 lost knight

lost knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

The other day I read somewhere that "Lili Marlene" was the most popular song of the war. Russian, French, Italian, English, as well as German versions existed (among others).
Napoleon

#11 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

From the rather good 'Any Major Dude' blog:
Germany’s Hit parade 1930-37 | Any Major Dude With Half A Heart
Germany's Hit Parade 1938-45 | Any Major Dude With Half A Heart

~A
It's only the Internet...

#12 lost knight

lost knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Thank you for the interesting link. I'm a little suprised at the lack of interest in the topic: seeing the way the music spread from army to army, the moral factors and propaganda, and the political intrigue (at least in Germany) involved. It seems that despite Goebbles' efforts he never won over the artistic community as a whole. Personally, I like Anne Shelton.
Napoleon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users