Photo
- - - - -

One of the few Doolittle raiders still alive...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Lives here in Montana. Here is a short article on Mr. Thatcher.

MISSOULAThe Washington Times called David Thatcher at his home on Missoula’s Dearborn Avenue a couple of weeks ago, and then someone from a San Diego newspaper a week later.

The Thatchers were just wrapping up another interview with a local reporter one morning last week when the phone rang again.

Goto:

Doolittle Raider marks 70th anniversary of daring mission over Japan
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

In days where everyone is a hero...Its nice to be reminded of the real hero's.

Paving the way. It may have been a small raid...The intent was in the message.

Fields need to be ploughed...Doolitllles raiders did the ploughing.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#3 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

The American psyche needed Doolittle's raid. It did little to Japan, other than make them aware that they were not invincible and that the US intended to fight the war, but it sure did restore America's spirit. Thanks for sharing this little tidbit. (why do they always live in Montana?)

image001.png

Lou

#4 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

If I was American...I'd live in Montana......They have sheep?

#5 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yupper, we have many, many herds of the woolies. I used to run a 400 head herd myself until the wool and lamb markets tanked in the early eighties. I think my little brother still keeps a few ewes around for the lamb itself, he used to shear them himself and just did one of two things. Jon would put his into the wool pool mostly, but I think his wife started carding and spinning the wool from a couple of them for her own use.

Don't hold me to it, she might have gotten too civilized for that. BTW, we have university level work being done on sheep and have had for decades.

Goto:

http://www.sheepinst... /><br /><br />

Edited by brndirt1, 02 April 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#6 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

The American psyche needed Doolittle's raid. It did little to Japan, other than make them aware that they were not invincible and that the US intended to fight the war, but it sure did restore America's spirit. Thanks for sharing this little tidbit. (why do they always live in Montana?)

Haaaa, the reason so many guys get old here might have something to do with the physical exertion needed to survive here, and the clean air, water, and good food. (just a thought)
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#7 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I downloaded a bunch of images about the raid years ago from Fold3 (back when they were still footnote). Mr Thatcher is on the right.

Attached File  Doolittle bomber crew.jpg   83.46KB   7 downloads
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#8 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Getting far afield from the Doolittle Raiders , but then again that happens sometimes. But here is another "answer" as to whether or not we have "sheep in Montana" "urgh". This is one shearing crew only.

Goto:

A shear sign of spring: Sheep lose their fleece

Edited by brndirt1, 07 April 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#9 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ahhh...but in my defence...I give to you another squadron of ploughers...As if I would go off topic...Sheep...there's always a link...and when I find em I get educated abouit things I didn't know...the black sheep sqn? Reallly...And a link with Doolitle...
BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON THEODORE VANKIRK MORRIS JEPPSON RICHARD COLE THOMAS GRIFFIN JAMES HILL ENOLA GAY CREW DOOLITTLE RAIDERS EDWIN HARPER EDWIN OLANDER THOMAS EMRICH BRUCE MATHESON ROBERT McCLURG

#10 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

CINCINNATIThe jovial banter and storytelling will halt, and guests will be ushered out of the meeting room, the door shutting behind them.
Five men, all in their 90s, will come to military-erect attention.

Before them will be a wooden display case with 80 silver goblets. On each, a name is engraved twice: to be read right-side-up — for those still alive — or to be read placed upside-down, in memory of the 75 now dead.

Goto:

Two Montanans among five remaining Doolittle Raiders | Great Falls Tribune | greatfallstribune.com
Happy Trails,
Clint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users