smithfam656

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

[h=2][/h]

Hi Everyone,

My grandfather passed away earlier this week, age 94. I had to dig up his Honorable Discharge paperwork for his funeral and I am finding it so interesting. If someone could help me understand it a little better, that would be wonderful. I am new to researching this type of information so any help is welcomed :-)

Grade- CPL
Arm or Service-CWS
Componet-AUS
Organization- 9710th Technical Service Unit
Date of Separation- 3 Mar 46
Place of Separation-Ft Geo G Meade MD
Date of Induction-9 Apr 43
Military Occupation Specialty and No- Munitions Worker 901
Military Qualification and Date- SS M-1 Rifle
Battles and Campaigns-None
Decorations and Citations- Good Conduct Medal, American Theater Ribbon, World War II Victory Ribbon
Wounds-None
Total Length of Service-2 years 10 months 18 days
Reason and Authority for Separation-AR 615-365 15 Dec 44 and RR1-1
Remarks-Lapel Button Issued, No days lost under AW107, ASR Score 41

I would love to understand the pay data as well,
Longevity 2 years 10 months 25 days, Mustering out pay, $200, This payment $100, Soldier deposits $0, Travel Pay $7.45, Total amount, 223.29

Thank you in advance!

Alicia

#2 Buten42

Buten42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Alicia,
I took a WWII separation paper and explained it box by box to help explain all the acronyms and termonalogy. I would love to upload it to the Forum but it's too large. Until I can figure a way to acomplish that with my limited computer skills, I'll have to attach it to an email. I sent you an email and as soon as I get your reply I'll send it. It would take about 18 pages to explain everything you have listed--just happens to be the length of the attachment ;-)
Oh, welcome to the forum. Dave
War is sweet to those who have never experienced it.
Latin Proverb

#3 Buten42

Buten42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

OK, I'll see if I can give you a shorter explination than 18 pages.

Grade-CPL is an acronyn for Corporal. For enlisted men it goes Private, Private First Class, and than Corporal--(and above)
Arm or Service- CWS. Another acronym for Chemical Weapons Service. (we didn't use them-except smoke and phosphorus rounds, but we had them)
Component- AUS- stands for Amy United States-means he was drafted. RA ment enlisted, NG ment National Guard
Organization-- His unit he was attached to. 9710th Technical Service. (not familiar with this unit-Google it)
Date of Separation- 3 Mar 46, The date he stepped from the separation center a civilian.
Place of Separation- Separation centers were set up around the country. They usually sent them to one near their hometown.
Date of Induction- Induction centers decided if the men were accepted into the service. They were given a physical and if accepted, they were given the oath and read the Articles of War-the Army's laws. From induction they went to reception centers where they were issued clothes, given shots, haircuts, records were made out etc. From there they were shipped to the training camps for basic and specialized training, and finally they were shipped to their unit.
Military Occupation Speciality- Called MOS, This is his military job title and assigned number. A munitions worker handled ammuntion and shells--probably chemical type since he was in Chemical Weapons Service.
Military Gualifications and date. He was qualified Sharpshooter with the M-1 Rifle.
Battles and Campaigns- None--his service was performed in the states. He never went overseas and was not in battle.
Decorations and Citations- Good Conduct-for exemplary Service, American Theater Ribbon-for service in the American sector, WWII Victory Medal- For serving at least one day during the war.
Wounds- Wounds received in combat against an armed enemy. He received no wounds.
Total Length of Service- Length of time from the date of induction until the date of separation. He served 2 years,10 mts 18 days total time in the Army.
Reason and Authority for Separation- Army Regulation 615-365 was Demobilization. The RR-1-1 was the War Department's plan for demobilization for enlisted men which was approved on 30 Aug 1944. In short, the war was over, time to go home.
Remarks- A catch-all for things not covered somewhere else. Lepal Button Issued-called a Honorable Discharge Button or Ruptured Duck- to be worn in the lepal of a civilian suit to show he was honorably discharged. No days lost under Article of War 107- Any days lost for being absent without leave, or any other unauthorized time lost had to be made up. He lost no days.
ASR Score-ASR is an acronyn for Advanced Servive Rating. This was a score the Army calculated so the guys who fought the hardest and the longest had the the ability to go home first. (it didn't work in many cases) They counted months in the service, months overseas, combat awards, and dependent children under 18- a score of 85 was needed for consideration.

Pay Data. At separation, all pay the soldier was entitled to was paid. (lay-off is pay-off)
They gave them so much "mustering out pay" to begin civilian life. I've always seen $300 here, it must have been $100 for each complete year served, (figured by total time served.) They paid in incriments of $100 a month so they would use it more wisely. The Army could trust the men with a tank or a squad of men but not 2 or 3 hundred dollars all at once.
Next they figured how much they were owed since last payday-per diam.
Next they gave the soldier travel pay from the separation center to home.
If the soldier had any money in Government deposit he was also given that--(never saw a separation with a deposit.)
If the soldier chose to continue his life insurance-the premium would be deducted to the day of discharge--any further premiums would be the soldiers responsibility.
Your grandfather was discharged with his clothes, $223.29 and a lifetime of memories.

This is pretty bare bones but it gives you an idea.
Latin Proverb

#4 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Mustering out pay is correct for this gentleman. $200 dollars was for those who did not have overseas service, $300 was for those who saw overseas service.

#5 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,345 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Welcome to the forums!
Regards,

Gordon

#6 Buten42

Buten42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Mustering out pay is correct for this gentleman. $200 dollars was for those who did not have overseas service, $300 was for those who saw overseas service.

Thanks Takao--I was just about to try to understand why it was only $200.
  • applevalleyjoe likes this
Latin Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users