Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Doolittle survivors reunited

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Reuters) - Four of the last five survivors of a U.S. World War Two bombing mission over Japan reunited on Wednesday, 70 years after the "Doolittle Tokyo raiders" shocked Japan and lifted flagging American war morale with their daring attempt.Only five of the 80 U.S. military members who participated in the raid are still alive and one could not attend the annual reunion at a Dayton, Ohio, military base because of ill health."
    Surviving Doolittle Raiders recount wartime bombing of Japan | Reuters

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

In memory of the Doolittle group......they occupy a special portion of soldiers that rallied to support the United States interest much like those that were captured on Bataan...........and I would like to coin a concept for depicting their special contribution so early in the fight for the Allied battle against our enemies......they are certainly within the "wave of first responders" when it comes to answering the call to war that the bombing of Pearl Harbor triggered. Many of these served and lost their life pursuing the goals our leaders established early on.

4. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Doolittle Raider's 70th Anniversary photos

View attachment 16450

View attachment 16451

It was a very bad day for a Japanese merchant ship, if a patrolling B-25H crossed its path. According to Mr= Ralph Anderson, my high school science teacher who flew B-25s and B-29s in WWII, the proper attack technique is a shallow dive at the ship, while firing your 50-caliber machine guns. When you see bullet hits at the waterline, fire the semi-automatic 75-mm howitzer to put *BIG* holes in the target vessel … a very successful anti-shipping tactic that rarely required a second pass!

View attachment 16452

This one is Miss Hap.

My Father, Happy Birthday Dad, sent these to me courtesy of one of his dear friends, R. Barr. Both old B-25 pilots from the 3535th Training Command, Mather AFB, Sacramento, CA, Navigator School.
    The Navigators they trained went on to fly SAC B-47's and B-52's during the Cold War - that was the real deal. Your mission......... I do not think Slm Pickens was an alum. I do think he would have made a fine pilot though.
    Coincidentally I was able to see three B-25's at The Planes of Fame Air Show in Chino, CA - just yesterday. Great sounding engines and a picture of power in the air. Sounds like Liberty.

Attached Files:

5. Biak

My legs got 'wobbly' just looking at the pictures! You can imagine what they would have done walking that flight line :)

6. rkline56

Thanks, Roger.

View attachment 16453
    Missing Man Formation - L-R: Miss Hap, Panchito, Betty - 99S Dream B-25J
    View attachment 16454

Nice. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an ordnance run.
    The fly in included 16 aircraft, this photo captures 15 of them. They flew in at 1,200 ft. AGL - the same altitude as the original raiders. According to my source, a former USAF Captain and B-25 pilot who studied the raid since he was 10. If anyone has differing information please let me know.

Attached Files:

gunbunnyb/3/75FA and GRW like this.
  7. rkline56

Attached Files:

8. rkline56

Attached Files:

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

These pictures are amazing. Thanks go out to you and your father.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

wonderful pics, especially as you got 15/16 in the air

11. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

ya gotta admit those guys had some stones the size of grapefruit to go on that raid

12. rkline56

No doubt.

Thanks everyone, truly, for the nice comments. Richard has another 1,300 photos. He spent three hours on the flight line.

There were two Navy crew members from the Hornet, honorary Raiders, that go to all of the reunions. They served on the Hornet for the duration of her life until she was lost at the Battle of Santa Cruz:

Arriving in the area, Hornet supported Allied operations and in late September briefly was the only operational American carrier in the Pacific after the loss of USS Wasp and damage to USS Saratoga and Enterprise. Joined by a repaired Enterprise on October 24, Hornet moved to strike a Japanese force approaching Guadalcanal. Two days later saw the carrier engaged in the Battle of Santa Cruz. In the course of the action, Hornet's aircraft inflicted severe damage on the carrier Shokaku and heavy cruiser Chikuma.

These successes were offset when Hornet was struck by three bombs and two torpedoes. On fire and dead in the water, Hornet's crew began a massive damage control operation which saw the fires brought under control by 10:00 AM. As Enterprise was also damaged, it began to withdraw from the area. In an effort to save Hornet, the carrier was taken under tow by the heavy cruiser USS Northampton. Only making five knots, the two ships came under attack from Japanese aircraft and Hornet was hit by another torpedo. Unable to save the carrier, Captain Charles P. Mason ordered abandon ship.

After attempts to scuttle the burning ship failed, the destroyers USS Anderson and USS Mustin moved in and fired over 400 five-inch rounds and nine torpedoes into Hornet. Still refusing to sink, Hornet was finally finished off after midnight by four torpedoes from the Japanese destroyers Makigumo and Akigumo which had arrived in the area. The last US fleet carrier lost to enemy action during the war, Hornet had only been commission one year and seven days.

Even a few of the Chinese citizens have gone to the reunion in the past. This year there was just one woman. The Chinese citizens who aided the Raiders in the face of harsh and criminal reprisals meted out by the IJA were forever admired and loved by the Raiders.

13. Biak

1,300 photo's ! And we've only seen 9 ?? We're waiting :D :rolleyes:

14. rkline56

Attached Files:

15. Biak

Devil Dog definitely looks "Loaded for Bear"! Great shots.

16. thecanadianfool

thecanadianfool Member

Well isnt that something! I have to admit the Doolittle raid not only showed the Japanese who was boss, but also showed the Americans that they were capable of anything. God bless the brave men who took part in the raid, full respect!

17. rkline56

View attachment 16494

Salute to the Doolittle Raiders:
    Crews, Support Group and Naval Task Force - God Bless You All!!

"Toujours au Danger" Literal translation - Always the Danger. I imagine these men meant - "We fly in the face of danger to send a message - the Yanks and Friends are coming - so hold on to your helmets boys." It is going to be a bumpy night!! (Credit - The one and only - Betty Davis) Apologies, I regress.
    View attachment 16497

View attachment 16495

View attachment 16496

Barbie III
    B-25 H

Attached Files:

18. Biak

:ffzonewhore: Fourteeeeennn.....

toe-tap-tap-tap
    :waving:

19. rkline56

Hey Biak,

Waiting for my Dad's buddy to process me some more photos. I am glad you enjoyed them, my friend.

20. rkline56

"I know nothin(k)g, Herr Kommandant!"