18 replies to this topic

#1 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Senate Subcommittee Hearings. The following statements, made by Mr. Kenney as Assistant Secretary at the 11 July 1947 hearing on S. 1252 before a Subcommittee of the Senate Committee on Armed Services (copy of which hearing is attached as enclosure (8.3) hereto) bear on the intended scope and purpose of the duties and functions of the Office of Naval Material as prescribed by P. L. 432:

...The Material Division is the staff of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for discharging his duties in over-all supervision and coordination of this procurement function which in World War II ran into the total of about $3,000,000 an hour for nearly 2 years....

Gives a hint of the scale of the war, don't it?

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
Pearl Harbor Attack Message Board
Veteran: USN, 1969-1989

#2 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

It sure costs a lot to break things.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#3 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

It sure costs a lot to break things.

Anybody know exactly how much it costs to raise a kid?

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

#4 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

That's just the USN, remember, not all US military or civilian bodies. .

#5 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm assuming that's not adjusted for inflation. In 2012 dollars that would be about 29 million an hour!

Either way, that's still a lot of cash.

Best Regards,
Alan

#6 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,350 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

In the US, it takes over quarter of a million per child, to the age of 18. Of course, this does not include post-secondary education. The cost of raising a child climbed 40% over the past decade - Sep. 21, 2011 In any case, the war was expensive however you cut it.

image001.png

Lou

#7 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm assuming that's not adjusted for inflation. In 2012 dollars that would be about 29 million an hour!

That statement was pre-1950, so it's not adjusted.

#8 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Actually that isn't that far off Alan, only a few million but when you get into those numbers per hour it seems a bit irrelevant does it not? $1.00 in 1947, which I suppose we must use as a base since that was when it appears to be published, had the same buying power as $10.50 this year (2012). So that would make the total pretty close $31,500,000 per.

However, just for fun it should be remembered that we were in a sort of deflation era post war, and in 1942 a single dollar was worth $14.56 in 2012 dollars. So in 1942-43 that would be about $43,680,000 per. I wonder which year the good man was referring to?

At any rate, in the words of Sen. Evert Dirkson; "A million here, and a million there, and pretty quick we are talking real money!"
  • George Patton likes this
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#9 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,676 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

So, war is good for business. It sure ended the Great Depression.
  • formerjughead likes this

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#10 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

I just used one of those online "inflation calculator" sites. I tried a few different ones, and despite descrepencies, it appears that the average is indeed closer to 31 million.

As a comparison, the AFSC estimates the daily cost of the Iraq war to be 720 million, which works out to about 30 million per hour. As OpanaPointer said, that 31 million figure for WWII just covered USN operations -- it really gives you a feel for how much funding was devoted to defeating Germany and Japan.

Best Regards,
Alan

#11 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

One complete head of hair. One sense of humour...add a touch of when I was your age and your nearly there...
  • A-58 and formerjughead like this

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#12 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,676 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

One complete head of hair. One sense of humour...add a touch of when I was your age and your nearly there...

Sounds like you've been there before urqh!

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#13 Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Over here it costs the same as a good house will cost. And the hairs and the humor like urqh stated too!
Regards, Ulrich

Horrido!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem!" LtGen. Chesty Puller.

#14 Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Why is it I only remember the teacher that kept telling us the sum total of minerals, matter, and metals in the human body (as he stared at us) was at the time valued at only 98 cents? Back then we couldn't even break over a dollar. See! It all depends on the book keeper you hire. Of course some of you may have gold or silver fillings which makes you worth a lot more than I.

#15 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

I wonder how much value-added I got for the scrape metal?

#16 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

I think it's mis-guided to compare the relative worth of dollars in different eras as an indication of the cost of war.

$14.50 buys a whole lot less than $2.00 did in 1944. Scroll back to 1874 or thereabouts and you could get a room, a meal, and a whore for the price of a cup of coffee today!

The cost of WW2 should not be measured as such. There are many things lost from WW2 that money simply couldn't buy, like national goodwill, innocence, or the very lives of people themselves.

Whilst watching the last episode of Ken Burn's "The Civil War", I was struck by the line of narration that went thus...

"...millions were haunted by the ghosts of people who should have been still alive."

Rather like the 'bean counters' that descended on our station whilst we were picking mangoes, asking questions about time and space, and working out how long it took us to pick and pack a box. I got angry with the man, telling him the time varied depending on all sorts of intangible factors that money couldn't affect, like the heat and the weather, the competancy of the picking crew, whether we were given a good lunch break or not, etc etc. This twit stalked away, muttering to himself with a flea in his ear.

You can't just put a dollar value on everything, add it all together, and proclaim "WW2 cost so and so.....this represents x amount in our time." It's meaningless. What we lost from WW2 were the millions whose intellects may well have changed the lives of everyone. Thats irreplacable, and the potential dollar value incalculable. But people in offices will always see things relative to themselves and their paper world.
  • A-58 likes this
Llamas are bigger than frogs.:cool:

#17 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:45 AM

OP: "Anybody know exactly how much it costs to raise a kid?"
Depends. Are you still married? The price could be extraordinary. Much more than could ever be recorded in a chequebook.

#18 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

True true..if you have a clem in tow as well as a kid then its going to be astronomical obviously...I suggest retirement...and send the wife out to do the business...works for me...oh and invest in sheep too...pays for uni loans. My wife loves me...she says so....or she loves someone I think its me...Clem loves all of us and Mcrusk is never happier when the fleet is in....No I mean...she's patrioic...I mean...oh I know what I mean.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#19 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

OMG...When the fleet is in?...LOL...Urqh is wearing his crazy/funny pants...He has the Crazy Belt, which I have been training for....We will surely battle for the right to hold such an honour. 'Till we meet again. lol. (wink)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users