Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rare photograph of Adolf Hitler, dated Augest 1914

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by thecanadianfool, Jun 1, 2012.

1. thecanadianfool

thecanadianfool Member

I was serfing the internet and I found this cool photograph of A rally in Germany in Augest 1914, turns out that Hitler was in this rally and they found him in the picture, take a look!

[​IMG]

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

what a little trouble maker, I hope they arrested the hooligan . Thanks for sharing this interesting picture. I suppose it was a nationalistic meeting at the outbreak of WWI in August 1914.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It's Munich in 1914, at a rally to support the war. (WW1, obviously)
    Doubt's been cast on it's veracity recently as it first appeared with Adolf pointed out like that in the Volkischer beobachter, at a time when some were questioning his patriotism.

Funny that it was attributed as a Hoffmann shot too... imagine that, how convenient. ;)

~A

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

The only thing he did right in his live! To go to WW1 and be a good soldier.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've seen this photo before, and it has always been questioned. Whether it's Adolf or not has been foremost among the questions. I have no doubt however, that he approved of its publication.

6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I've seen this picture a lot. The picture was originally printed in the early 1930s ('32?) after political opponents questioned devotion to Germany because he was an Austrian. The photo was supposed to shoot down these attacks. If I recall correctly, it was suspected that Hoffmann touched it up during the early 1930s -- among other things, Hitler didn't have his distinctive mustache at this point. I think some historians also brought up some questions about his hair, arguing he didn't have the distinctive "sweep" across his forehead.

Could this really be Hitler? Definitely. Hitler was in Munich at the time and there were thousands of people at the rally. He was enthusiastic about the outbreak of war, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to be near the front of a well attended pro-war rally. That being said, I think Hoffmann would have surely touched it up in the 1930s. The picture was above all else a propaganda piece -- and performing alterations to make Adolf look better would have been the norm.

7. 36thID

36thID Member

Like the others, I've seen this before. It's the German version of Oswald at the grassy knoll....

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I thought the CIA was on the grassy knoll. ;)

9. 36thID

36thID Member

Tommy, as you can tell I get confused !

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You're both wrong. It was the man with the umbrella on the grassy knoll.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Did you notice Fegelheim with the white hat poking at him and putting candy in his hair?

12. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Haha, you´re correct, Skipper! I like this thought!

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You're all wrong, it was "badge man" on the knoll behind the fence, the man with the umbrella was sitting on the curb after the shots with his umbrella at his side, and Oswald was still in the book depository. The guy with the umbrella was there to protest JFK's recent speech at which he talked about "peace" in the world and not a "Pax Americana", but true peace. The guy with the umbrella was trying to call attention to what he thought was a very Neville Chamberlain-like speech, the umbrella was Chamberlain's trademark of a sort.

14. 36thID

36thID Member

Then there was the shooter in the sewer.

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Yeah, I forgot about that one. There was also the idea that a shooter was on the roof of the building across from the park and shooting at JFK's left side or something. If you add all these guys up he was caught in a cross-fire of ten or so shots, not just three. Get over it guys, it was really just one guy shooting from one place, and hitting the "target" twice. Shooting "downhill" is really easy, trust me.

Getting pretty far afield from that old pic of Hitler, which has always been a bit suspect. Reminds me in a way of the Stalin pics that "airbrushed" out other Lenin co-horts and put Joseph in the fore like he was the earliest and most important of Lenin's supporters.

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sorry CF, I hope you do'nt mind we highjacked your thread and made jokes about it .

17. 36thID

36thID Member

18. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

As long as TCF will have no problem, why not!

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

And speaking of Hitler in August of 1914, where was Oswald when we needed him? :p

Now for something completely different -- I'll be serious. :eek: I do believe it was faked. The facial features don't seem right. Can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off. His face seems much lighter that those around him. Also, if he didn't have the mustache and comb-over until much later, it would be odd that he would be sporting them in this photo.

20. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Hitler was there but this well known photo is a fake: just look at the direction of light on Führer's face and how the light falls on other people.