4 replies to this topic

#1 bratpat

bratpat

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have the German Army Paybook of an anti-aircraft gunner who protected a wounded British Army Glider Pilot at the Rhine Crossing. He was born in Cologne in 1906. How might I trace any descendants in order to return the Paybook to them?

#2 Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Writing a letter to the mayors bureau of Cologne will help. They can trace him or his family and normally the officials are helpful in such a case.
Regards, Ulrich

Horrido!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem!" LtGen. Chesty Puller.

#3 bratpat

bratpat

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Many thanks Gebirgsjaeger, I'll try that.

Bratpat

#4 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

bratpat: Can you tell us more about this event? I'm interested, and I'm sure others are as well.

Best of luck with your search.

Best Regards,
Alan

#5 bratpat

bratpat

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Alan

I have the Paybook of German Army member Johann Altmann in my possession.

Johann Altmann was born in Cologne 15.4.1906. He enrolled in the Army 20.5.1939 and served in various Flak Batteries. On 24.3.1945 he was engaged in defending Hamminkeln against the Allies in a glider-borne landing operation aimed at achieving a crossing over the Rhine.

He protected a British glider pilot – Sergeant Thomas O’Brien - who was injured during the troop landings, and gave him his own Paybook – presumably as a memento. It is probable that Johann Altmann surrendered and became a prisoner-of-war, but they never met again.

Thomas's widow passed the Paybook to me recently to try and locate any relatives/descendants to whom it could be passed.

Regards

Bratpat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users