Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Peter Lumb

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by peterlumb, Jun 2, 2012.

1. peterlumb

peterlumb recruit

I would like to find a bit more about my father Trooper Wright Lumb No.4349006 of the East Riding Yeomanry. I believe he landed at Sword Beach on D Day or the day after.
    He was like many who went through this day, he never talked about it until 2 days before he passed away 12 years ago.
    On the back of his driving permit which I still have is typed C B Squadron, does this mean he was attached to both ?
    Would there be any records of where he was, visited, as I hope to go to Normandy in 2013 and visit places he would have served.
    I have read several books on the history of the E.R.Y. but need something a bit more personel,

Kind Regards,
    PL Australia

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Peter, welcome to the forum, and good luck on your search!

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Register and ask on our sister forum ww2 talk too...More Commonwealth orientated. You'll get hits on both sites but more Brits there than here.

4. nfh249

nfh249 recruit

Hi Peter,

You mention having read "several books" on the history of the East Riding Yeomanry - I assume you are referring to "Forrard" by Paul Mace and "Europe Revisited" by Victor Ellison? These are the only two books to deal with the regiment's part in the NW Europe Campaign in any detail I'm afraid. The only other source of information would be the regimental war diaries at the National Archives at Kew (London) but these rarely mention other ranks by name. They would perhaps give you an idea of where they were and what they were experiencing. I am researching the history of the ERY and have a few group photos of the time with names; I will have a look and see if your father is amongst them. Unfortunately I have not yet copied the war diaries as I am working on WW1 at the moment.

I am not sure about the reference to C B Squadron, it would be that he served with both.

Regards,

Neil.