• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ISUnorth

ISUnorth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

Always think of my dad on D-Day. Found this board and joined today when a Google search showed a thread on here on his outfit, the 980th Field Artillery Battalion (155mm Long Toms). A couple of days before D-Day he was an ambulance driver and clerk when they handed him a first aid booklet and said “Snyder, you’re now a combat medic”. He never did think he was really qualified but none of these guys really got any training. He did get a Bronze Star for Valor for evacuating guys under fire so I know he did his job. The combat training came in handy years later when he pulled into an Iowa farmyard (he delivered D-X fuel) just after a guy had gotten seriously mangled in a corn auger. The ambulance crew that got there later said my dad probably saved the guys life.

I have bunch of photos to scan and share on the 980th and also a batch of “liberated” German photos. Not sure where they came from, probably somewhere in France, Belgium or Germany. I posted a couple of things in a 980th thread in the research forum and am wondering if that is the best place for 980th related pictures. Also where would one post the German photos when I get them scanned?

Thanks

Picture below is Cpl. Marvin L. Snyder, father of ISUnorth.
Attached File  a_dad_army_port_smaller.jpg   55.59KB   6 downloads

Edited by ISUnorth, 07 June 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,238 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

Welcome to the forum. I think a new thread with your pictures would be best. The original thread seems to be dominated by letters and diary entries from the same person. Your own thread would open new possibilites for research. The German photos (if they relate to the 980th) can go in the same place. If not, start a thread for those photos. I, among others, would be interested in anything you have to share.

image001.png

Lou

#3 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,238 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

By all means, post your pictures and we'll try to identify them for you.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#4 ISUnorth

ISUnorth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Welcome to the forum. I think a new thread with your pictures would be best. The original thread seems to be dominated by letters and diary entries from the same person. Your own thread would open new possibilites for research. The German photos (if they relate to the 980th) can go in the same place. If not, start a thread for those photos. I, among others, would be interested in anything you have to share.

Thanks, I probably have enough to start a new thread on the 980th. Have pictures of the COL and LTC and desert training in California in 1943. I have a BIG picture of the entire battalion that I will have to take somewhere to get scanned. It's 16x20. Photo was taken from a top a platform with the officers in front and the enlisted guys in the formation of a bear (the cooks in white where the eyes). It's really cool, rough point and shoot copy is below. I am pretty enthused about sharing some of this stuff.

Attached File  980th FA group shot small.jpg   83.27KB   9 downloads

#5 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• 5,914 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Welcome to the forum, looking forward for the images!
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#6 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Welcome, and a salute to your father, ISUnorth.

Proud Daughter of a WWII Veteran, 608 Engineer Light Equipment Company  

#7 SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationwww.ceba.lu

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Welcome ISUnorth! I'm looking frward to your father's pictures!

#8 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to the forums!
Regards,

Gordon

#9 SteveM

SteveM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Welcome!
Author of Why Germany Nearly Won: A New History of the Second World War In Europe and Editor in Chief of The Globe At War - an online community dedicated to exploring the past century of global warfare with a special emphasis on the Second World War. The Globe At War is currently seeking articles, book reviews, or pictures.

#10 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Welcome, ISUnorth! I really like the photos of your dad and the 980th.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users