Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A hero of mine

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by 36thID, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 36thID

36thID Member

On this date many years ago, the world lost a wonderful person.

As a teenager she volunteered her time to serve food and wrap packages for soldiers of Jefferson Barracks heading off to WW 2. After WW 2 she gave her time to Cochran Hospital and took care of badly wounded WW 2 vets. Later in life she set an example to her countless friends and family of how to handle adversity with a smile on her face. She was the most honest person I ever met...... Our mother and friend to many.

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

She sounds like a wonderful woman, and like someone I wish I would have known.

I know that you must still miss her, but it sounds as if she left a magnificent legacy and many happy memories.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Photo of her, Steve?

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

If you have more about your mother's service to our WW2 soldiers, I would love to hear it. It sounds like she was a wonderfully caring person.

5. 36thID

36thID Member

Thanks for your kind words. She grew up in Kirkwood, MO. During her childhood she had to help raise her younger sister and brother due to a family "situation". When war broke out a call went to civilians to assist in the war effort. My grandpa gave her permission at 14 to volunteer at Jefferson Barracks, her sister and brother were now old enough to take care of themselves during the day. Plus, my grandpa had his barber shop downstairs and they lived upstairs.

She and other teens would ride with her pastor or a teacher every weekend and many days during the summer break. From what it sounded like it was like the good ladies of North Platte, Nebraska that would meet military trains on their way to the Pacific except at JB men left daily for the war. She gave packages and snacks to the departing troops. She later accepted a role in the JB Hospital for wounded men. Regretfully, most of these were shell shocked men. The staff trained her to give shots by having her practice on oranges, and how to insert needles for blood by inserting needles in fresh string beans. During blood drives she would work all day.

http://www.cardcow.com/viewall/70007/

2 men in stayed in contact with her. They were a man badly wounded at Pearl Harbor and a Marine that was blinded at Iwo Jima. She would write letters for them. I remember meeting Raymond in the mid 60's at Cochoran Hospital. he was undergoing a series of skin grafts. He called my mom Sis....

TD-Tommy776 and 693FA like this.
  6. Clementine

Clementine Member

An amazing woman. You must be very proud.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

A fantastic example of the greatest generation, Steve.:cool:

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Truly an incredible woman. She was very mature for someone so young. Clearly she made an impact on the young men who were under her care and with whom she stayed in contact. Thanks for sharing her story with us, Steve.