We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Finally: Justice for Assange ...

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#201 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

If it fits, it sits...i hear that.

How do you determine what is true/false in media...serious question.

If all you have is a sound bite or a tweet it's pretty hard.  The more information you can get on a subject the easier it is to tell what is accurate what isn't and where the biases lie.  One reason I like NPR (well their news rather than their propaganda shows) is that their stories are often long enough with enough information to see where their biases are.  You still may have to do more research on things that seem a little odd and something may never satisfy you as to their correctness.

#202 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationUntersteiermark

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

@lwd

I've heard somewhere that a large traction of American population does not trust media. I mostly listen to the music to prevent a single word come close to my ears, just this recent election fuss has seriously attracted my attention though, as a foreigner, I'm not an interested party. That was a great show, a spectacle involving lies, deception, espionage, crime... That was a gigantic soap opera with a Happy End. He'll lock her, any time soon. ;)

flag_eu.png

#203 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Happy End?  The show has not even aired yet.  In four years, when the season ends, we will let you know if it has a "Happy End". 

Still, for better or worse, the pilot episode "The First 100 Days" should be interesting.

#204 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

"The First 100 Days"

This time there is no such thing. They have started attacking the Elect President like rabid dogs even before Wisconsin submitted results. There is a witch-hunt going on in Washington DC.

Edited by Tamino, 09 January 2017 - 07:57 PM.

flag_eu.png

#205 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

This time there is no such thing. They have started attacking the Elect President like rabid dogs even before Wisconsin submitted results. There is a witch-hunt going on in Washington DC.

Not much different then the "witch hunt" when Obama was first elected. 

What goes around comes around.

#206 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Happy End?  The show has not even aired yet.  In four years, when the season ends, we will let you know if it has a "Happy End". 

We may not have to wait quite that long.  When he states that he won't fulfill his oath of office before he's even taken it the chance of an impeachment is non negligible.

#207 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Wishful thinking? 

flag_eu.png

#208 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Perhaps.

#209 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Maybe not.

http://www.chicagotr...1219-story.html

#210 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

It's worse than that though he has a lot of foreign debts.  Some of them would fit the definitions as well I suspect and he can't just sell debts.  He would have to come up with the cash to pay them off.  Perhaps some sort of blind trust would work but he's got some serious problems and it's a real question of whether or not he has the friends in Congress prevent such action if he doesn't conform to the constitution.

#211 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Agree that reading multiple sources may be our only way to separate wheat from chaff. i can see that cnn, nbc, huffpo, buzzfeed etc etc are totally biased...But it seems that a large majority of cnn etc viewers only want news that reflects the propaganda main stream media (movies/tv/kardashebutts etc) feed them. Despicable hollywood writes their agendas into trash movies. Then unimportant people (smucks- pick any actor/tress/singers)use that platform to influence their gullibles. i like Drudge. ..looks like he has been under DOS attack lately. Probably by the bama admin- because they are trying to force feed an anti Russian sentiment/ left globalist agenda. i also believe huge amounts of money are being spent by mid east countries (like KSA) who funnel blood oil money into perverting the news ( and our gov officials/ laws) to their agenda. Heard ksa has interests now in reddit (which explains a lot about that site now), and other major media. Also think george soros has his filthy fingers in a lot of media pots.

XX

#212 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

The major networks do have some bias but their biggest one is toward profits so they will report a story if they think it's big enough no matter what the result is.  They also know that if their "news" programs report to many fallacies it will effect their ratings.  One has to watch more how they report it and what they leave out.  That's why comparing say fox and nbc has some merit.  Occam's razor is also useful as it a bit of common sense and the old rule about following the money.   Of course those can also mislead you if used excessively.

#213 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

People think that press consists of serious articles expressing free views of authors, with payed advertisements in between. In reality, press consists of political propaganda mixed with advertisements. They get paid more for propaganda than for ordinary commercial advertisements. Political elite has press in their pockets. News is what they want to be news.

flag_eu.png

#214 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

How could the average Joe combat fake news?

Thinking by taking money out of their pockets...Boycott hollywood and main stream tv/news.

Hollywood is going the way of the dinosaur...Movie "stars" will be replaced with much more attractive/intelligent and capable cgi. 

Die hollywood/ industry pop music, die already.

Thank allah for the internet/Assange.

XX

#215 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

Not really at least here.  That seams to fit fairly well with what I've seen of official Russian press though.  Over here you get a mix besides the adds there are fact based stories, propaganda, editorials (i.e. views/opinions), and trivia all mixed together in varying portions.  When I was growing up the TV news actually contained for the most part fact based stories with clearly delineated editorials.  There was some propaganda and it became more common in the late 60's but the overall emphasis was still on real news/facts.  There's still a fair amount of it but now it's "factoids" or trivia rather than useful information to a large extent at least on the commercial networks.

#216 Belasar

Belasar

Court Jester

• Administrators
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Poppy, get a grip already. 

If Hollywood 'dies'  as you call for, Canada would see both their unemployment increase, the economy might just collapse.

A goodly portion of the 'propaganda/crap' they make is actually shot in Canada because its cheaper there. So when you think about it that makes the US the pimp and dear old Canada the working girl now doesn't it? 

Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#217 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

Get a grip? That was not nice. Usually you are.

Canadian films suck, mostly. Can't name 1 good Canadian film. Without google- can you?

Hollywood and everything associated with it could dry up and blow away, nobody here would notice. Except snowflakes...In fact, dead hollywood would be a boon to Canada.

Hollywood actors and their tribe are elitists. Just read what happened when snowflake M Streep decided to comment about current events during the golden globes. Yes, the same golden globes who awarded pia zedora with a lifetime award as well...

Hollywood will die soon. Next 10 years. Good riddance.

XX

#218 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

A lot of the productions I see coming out of Canada don't really fit the "Hollywood" movie stereo type.  Of course a fair number coming out of Hollywood don't either.  Most of the decent SF TV series in the last decade or so have been shot in BC at least that I've seen.

#219 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

Pardon- off topic

Longmire has been  one of the few CATV shows worth watching. The Beachcombers was always popular.

True, i also have noticed a lot of SF TV that seems to hold CA production values. People notice that stuff. And shy away.

As for movies- mostly can tell if it is CA. Maybe something to do with production costs/equipment?..Whatever- they try to hide the fact it was made in CA.

BBC usually has much better writing than anything CA could come up with.

Sherlock Holmes for example.

Wow, really off topic...Assange is much more interesting.

XX

#220 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Or not.

Canada grants subsidies for film productions that are pretty significant.  The Highlander TV series for instance alternated filming between France and Canada to take advantage of subsides in both countries.

#221 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Not really at least here.  That seams to fit fairly well with what I've seen of official Russian press though.  Over here you get a mix besides the adds there are fact based stories, propaganda, editorials (i.e. views/opinions), and trivia all mixed together in varying portions.  When I was growing up the TV news actually contained for the most part fact based stories with clearly delineated editorials.  There was some propaganda and it became more common in the late 60's but the overall emphasis was still on real news/facts.  There's still a fair amount of it but now it's "factoids" or trivia rather than useful information to a large extent at least on the commercial networks.

I'm glad you are confident because confidence is a pleasant state of mind. However, I must disappoint you - they don't even pretend they serve you with the truth.

Normally products have a warranty which means a guarantee or promise which provides assurance that specific facts or conditions are true or will happen.
Media do not provide a binding warranty for their products. If you believe media that is because you either don't have a sense for truth or you have deliberately decided to accept lies as a truth.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS)  elevated lies to even higher level. The Joint Report contained a Disclaimer stating that “ DHS does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.” O'Bama doesn't refrain from lies. They don't even bother pretending they are telling the truth. Is your confidence still so unshakable?

Edited by Tamino, 11 January 2017 - 05:58 PM.

flag_eu.png

#222 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'm glad you are confident because confidence is a pleasant state of mind. However, I must disappoint you - they don't even pretend they serve you with the truth.

Wrong again.  Some pretend to do so and some actually do so.

Normally products have a warranty which means a guarantee or promise which provides assurance that specific facts or conditions are true or will happen.

Some do some don't.  I'm wouldn't call either "normal" until you get a lot more specific.

Media do not provide a binding warranty for their products. If you believe media that is because you either don't have a sense for truth or you have deliberately decided to accept lies as a truth.

Even proposing they supply a "binding warranty" is weird.   I have a pretty good sense for the truth and definitely haven decided to accept lies as such.  At least in the US the media very seldom lies.  They may only give part of the story and may slant thing by what part they give or what words they use but very seldom do they deliberately lie.  Far to easy to get caught in that and loose their credibility which would affect their bottom line which is the thing that's really important to the higher ups.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS)  elevated lies to even higher level. The Joint Report contained a Disclaimer stating that “ DHS does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.” O'Bama doesn't refrain from lies. They don't even bother pretending they are telling the truth. Is your confidence still so unshakable?

What have you said that would affect my confidence at all?  Certainly you have produced nothing to support your position with regards to either DHS or Obama lying.  Not to say they don't on occasion but that hardly supports your position.

#223 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

I'm glad you have so firm and pleasant sense of confidence. Enjoy that, I don't envy you. :)

flag_eu.png

#224 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

I just have a decent grasp of the way things work.  If you don't believe in any of the news sources what do you believe in?  That route seams a lead to the believe what you want option a lot more readily than mine.

#225 Tamino

Tamino

Doc - The Deplorable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

I just have a decent grasp of the way things work.  If you don't believe in any of the news sources what do you believe in?  That route seams a lead to the believe what you want option a lot more readily than mine.

I firmly trust in Good and rely on my own judgement about any other subject.

flag_eu.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users