Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1st Armored Regiment Tunisia

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Gards, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Gards

Gards recruit

Hi,
    Im new to the forum and I hope you guys can help.

I would love to start researching the actions of the 1st AR Nov-Dec 1942, but I have no idea where to begin. I was hoping that someone in the Forum could help me start off my research in this area by giving me a nudge as to what sort of material is out there.

As far as I know there are no books covering the period in detail... so what sort of original material should I be looking at to find the details of their combat operations??

All I know is that the 1AR was in 1 Armd Divs CCB during this time, so what sort of Journals and docs are out there for me to find?

Thanks in advance!

-Gards

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. Gards

Gards recruit

Thanks for the assistance guys. I'll spend today going through it all.

Does anyone know what sort of Unit Journals are at NARA, I have no idea what sort of records Units like the 1 AR kept on the front lines- are there Company reports, or Bn or Regt Journals?

5. TD-Tommy776

You can request an index of the unit records by following this link: www.archives.gov/contact/inquire-form.html#part-b

Under the section titled, "I have a question about research and records at NARA", select the topic, "Records created by the US military", in the drop down menu. In the box provided, enter a polite request for and index of the WWII records for the 1st Armored Battalion. Skip the next dialog box. However, just below it mark that you would like a response to your inquiry. Then scroll down to the contact section and enter your contact information. Click on "Review your entries". Verify you information and submit your request. You should receive a response within 10 days (assume business days).

They will send you a listing of all the documents they have for the unit. From that list, you can request a quote for obtaining copies of the document(s) you want.

LRusso216 likes this.
  6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good stuff, Tommy.

7. TD-Tommy776

And easy, too. That's why I like it. ;) I should give credit to Natman for showing me that trick, though.