Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

As we are fast approaching Dec. 7th...

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by brndirt1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's an interesting link, but no matter what Hitler did the US was now in the war. What he couldn't have realized is that the US would prioritize Europe over the Pacific from the very beginning. Perhaps he was deluded into thinking that war with Japan would take precedence?

It hardly matters that Germany declared war first. The US would have declared war on Germany at the first diplomatic opportunity.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The "Germany first" principle was formally formulated in the ABC-1 Talks, held in Washington Jan. to March 1941. It was confirmed officially by FDR and WSC at the Atlantic Conference and announced at Casablanca.

4. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

Actually Hitler was a mix of reality and denuded. Hitler had an idea of US capacity, though I dont think he knew the US could fight on two fronts. The number one mistake of hitler was in thinking Japan could occupy the US so that they could not support the war in Europe. Hitler declared war so his U boats could strike at the US in an attempt to interdict US aid.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Absolutely. The man had no trees.
    I've always loved his school-yard reasoning for declaring war. "Great powers declare war, they are not declared upon." I guess that means the US isn't a great power? And can we talk about Sept. 3rd. 1939?

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Although I am not the expert that some here are and my spullin and gramer may be a little shakey I have done some reading, slowly of course.

I have a book down stairs buried in one of my chests of books I want to keep but never read again. This book was written in Germany in about 1899 or so and it stated that Germany needed to conquer the world and the Germans were the best bunch to rule the world, etc. etc.

You get the idea. I would suggest that the seeds to Hitler's involvement in WWII and path of destruction were planted before he was born.

KTK