• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Errass

Paul Errass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 06:04 PM

23rd August 1942,spearheads of 16th Panzer Div cross the Don Steppe and reach the Volga.

Can anyone tell me who the Oberst was who was in Command of 6th Armee General Staff on this date.

Thanks

Paul smile.gif
Nikto ne Zabyt . Nichto ne Zabyto. Let no one forget . Let nothing be forgotten.

Always looking to buy Militaria / documents related to the Battle of Narva 1944 and Infanterie Regt 15 , 29 ( Mot) Infanterie Division.

#2 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,039 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2002 - 06:34 PM

I believe it was Colonel Adam. I have to check.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,039 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2002 - 06:39 PM

The Chief of Staff for the 6th Armee was Generalleutnant Arthur Schmidt the whole time. Is this what you are looking for?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Paul Errass

Paul Errass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Pzjgr,

Although Scmidt was the Armee Chief of Staff,there was an Oberst who was actually in command of the personnel of the staff themselves.I have some documents signed by this man but can't make out his name.

Paul smile.gif
Nikto ne Zabyt . Nichto ne Zabyto. Let no one forget . Let nothing be forgotten.

Always looking to buy Militaria / documents related to the Battle of Narva 1944 and Infanterie Regt 15 , 29 ( Mot) Infanterie Division.

#5 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:09 PM

I hope this helps. I couldn't post a picture of him, but you can get one in www.stalingrad.net go to German 6th Army/the chief of staff. He was the chief of staff to the senior chief of staff (not commander) Paulus during nearly all the year of 1942, since Khárkov until the final surrender.

Generalleutnant Arthur Schmidt

Born : 25 October 1895 - Hamburg - Germany

Died : 5 November 1987 – Karlsruhe - Germany

Military career

One year volunteer : 10 August 1914

Fahnenjunker : 1 November 1914

Fähnrich : 24 December 1914

Leutnant : 8 May 1915

Oberleutnant : 1 November 1923

Hauptmann : 1 July 1928

Major : 1 November 1934

Oberstleutnant : 1 August 1937

Oberst : 1 February 1940

Generalmajor : 1 June 1942

Generalleutnant : 17 January 1943

Second World War

Ia of the 5.Armee : 1 September 1939

Ia of Oberkommando Grenzabschnitt Mitte :

13 October 1939

Ia of the 18.Armee : 5 November 1939

Chief of Staff of the V. Armee Korps :

25 October 1940

Führereserve OKH : 24 April 1942

Chief of Staff of the 6. Armee : 15 May 1942

Surrendered to the Russians at Stalingrad on

31 January 1943

Awards won during World War 2 :

Knight's Cross on 6 January 1943
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#6 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Just curious. Is there evidence that Schmidt was "making decisions" over Paulus during the siege period of the 6th Army. In a way I "sense" that Paulus was too weak to handle the situation, but was Schmidt the person to push Paulus in these decisions and the "real commander"?

Please read the battle of Stalingrad section from the site below.

http://en.wikipedia....chmidt_(soldier)
Posted Image

#7 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,039 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

My understanding of the German Armee structure was that the Chief of Staff did more of the command and control than the actual commander. The commander would make a decision and the Chief of Staff would be responsible for carrying them out. A good example of this is seen with Sepp Dietrich as commander. He had no proper military command training yet he rose to command an army group. The person actually running the show was his Chief of Staff Fritz Kraemer who was brought over from the Heere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,039 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

I just read that wikipedia entry and this is interesting as I have never seen any other documentation where Schmidt was making actual command decisions for Paulus rather than just carrying them out. I have read that Paulus' rise was highly criticized by many Generals. They regarded him as a good staff officer but not a commanding one. So I agree that perhaps Paulus was in such a state to let Schmidt run the show.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

" ..when he held the order to fly out in his hands on 25 january, the last aircraft had already taken off from Stalingradski airfield. At the time, von Seydlitz felt this was poetic justice." On Schmidt after he was promoted Lieutenant General.

Stalingrad- memories and reassessments Wider and Graf von Einsiedel
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users