Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Crew Uniforms

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Bish OBE, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

I am trying to find out the correct uniform for the driver of a half track, in particular the SdKfz 250 and 251 in infantry units. I would assume they were the same as the regular infantryman. But i've just bought a model kit with a driver figure who is wearing the uniform of an assault gun crewman.

Nothing i have refers specifically to the crews of halftracks. So any help would be appreciated.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Bish--it depends on what part of the war it was--if early war--it will be regular uniforms--if from late 43 or early 44 to end of war--it will be the Assaultgunner uniform style and should be Grey-green or fieldgrey. If Panzer--black or camo.

3. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Thanks Carl.

Can i just confirm.

In the latter half of the war, the drivers of halftracks, even those in Infantry units, wore the same uniform as Assault gun crews.

I guess this would make sense as the drivers would spend mosy time in the vehicles anyway.

You mention the Panzer black. I assume this would apply to those manning halftracks in a Pazer Regiment, and not those in the PzGren Regiment of a Panzer Div.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Bish--yep--they wore them. Not only were they more practable--but wore more comfortable for them to wear as well as not to get snagged on anything that the other uniform might get snagged on.

I like the varities of that kind of uniform.

You have black--fieldgrey--grey-green, rain pattern camo--wood or winter pattern camo and I almost forgot to mention that there are the various kinds of dot pattern A.G. tunics--etc. I hate mentioning this auction company but--go to www.manions.com and look in their catalogs--you will usually find several pictures of that style of uniform pictured there. :D

[ 03. January 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

5. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Thanks alot Carl. I intend to replace the figure with one in regular uniform as it will be set in 42, and the figure is not that good. I just had to ask as i was confused and i don't have my refrences handy at the moment.

I do have another question though.

I am sure you are familiar with the leather U-Boat uniforms worn by tank crews in the 12th SS Pz Div. Do you know if these were worn by tank crews in other units.