Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Migration from vBulletin to Invision Power Board - Operation Boarding Party

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

So, now that my back has been sufficiently augmented, I am now unencumbered by my previous painful non-ambulatory state. Your Administrator is now an active Admin. The time has come to implement the long awaited, much needed overhaul of the WWII Forums. It is finally happening!

Some Background
    A few years ago, vBulletin was widely regarded as the very best online discussion forum software in use. I gladly adopted their product as it was a supremely functional tool. vBulletin developers were renowned for their diligence, style, and focus on security. A couple years ago the vBulletin brand was bought by a new holding company, and unfortunately these former positive traits were not fully adopted. Many of us experienced a good deal of the virus problems and lack of any graphical themes. Now vBulletin is releasing the next generation of the platform, version 5. I am not going to be using their product any further.

vBulletin to Invision Power Board
    After extensive research and review of other discussion boards, I've made the decision to migrate to Invision Power Board (IPB). The IPB product today has many of the great features you Rogues have been asking for. Once the move is complete we will have a many great new features, be a tiny bit faster, have an actual WW2 Theme, and be more protected from malware. We will even have a small chat room.

Full Scale Import by a Pro
    The migration, dubbed Operation Boarding Party, will import the over half million messages you Rogues have posted here since the year 2000. The process will also maintain existing private messages, friends, signatures, even your attachments. The project will be guided by a developer who performed installations and migrations for six years as an employee of Invision. Though a bit costly, we are in very good hands. Money wisely invested in my opinion.

Timeframe
    We are in the testing mode now. A copy of our current database is undergoing full conversion on a test server. The goal was to have the migration complete by the end of March, but we are far ahead of schedule with completion expected by March 16th. Whatever happens, our pace will be slow, steady, and safe, we will only make the move when we are 100% certain data will not be lost.

I will update this thread as we complete each migration step:

Operation Boarding Party
    • Backup & Test Migrations on mirror server <--- Complete
    • Installation of IPBoard <--- In Progress
    • Installation of IPGallery <--- In Progress
    • Import of all forum data from vBulletin to IPB (some downtime)
    • Import of WorldWar2Talk.com data (some downtime)
    • Installation on WW2 themed template. Remember what we used to look like?
    View attachment 18500

I am very excited about this transition, we will be a safer, more productive, better community afterward. Please be patient while we move this along. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at the gmail address in my sig.

Note: In addition the steps just outlined, I am pleased to finally honor a commitment made a long while ago concerning WorldWar2Talk.com. higge, a WW2 discussion board webmaster and member here requested I take control the data from his site. It was only a few thousand posts, but he wanted the messages to have a permanent home online. At the time I agreed, but technical difficulties with the import as well as technical difficulties with my spine intervened. Having this commitment outstanding was a matter I always wanted to resolve. I'm very happy to say our new IPB forum will include all the data from what was WorldWar2Talk.com. Please note that this is not our sister site WW2Talk.com.

Attached Files:

fukks, blutoubtemium, nmvix and 8 others like this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Unleash Hell!!!....Oh ..well you know what I mean.:D

Good show! (translation for our UK members)

3. Otto

Thanks belasar, trying to make up for lost time.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's just excellent to see you so active again. I can't wait to git rid of this prototype cover and get the real stuff back . Otto are you still in touch with Peppy , our favorite avatar maker?

5. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I will be tickled pink to see the old skins reappear... or the upgrades you were alluding to when we lost them all. [​IMG]

Otto:
    Is there any chance we can recover the old ww2f.com picture galleries while we are at it?
    I really miss those. Terrible loss. Ron Goldstein's alone would make my day... [​IMG]

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great News,Otto! Thanx alot for doing all this work for the Forums! :)

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You may be excited, but I am ecstatic.

8. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

It will be great to see the old/new background. One of the things that caught my eye when I first found the site!

9. Otto

I am, but I'm not sure how involved he will be. Hopefully he comes back soon.

Yes.

No one is more pleased than I about returning to active duty.

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am so pleased that your back problems are finally easing up enough for you to become active again Otto. I personally blamed most of the/my frustrations with vBulletin on myself and my own ineptitude. Just a cranky old F*rt who didn't adapt well to change. Of course I will use the same excuse when I mess up with the new one too!

Thanks again Otto! You're the best.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I haven't been around long enough to remember the old look (thanks to Otto for posting the pic in his op), but I am excited to see this Forum with a look that is worthy of its excellent membership. :)

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I can't wait. I remember the old look. It was part of what made this site unique. I'm glad you are back Otto. It's nice to have your voice around.

14. Otto

Well it won't be the old look as that was an older software version, incompatible with what we havbe now and what we will soon have. It will be a new look, one that will look as good as the old one I screen capped above.

And I truly can't tell you how great it feels to be mobile, active, and productive. I had some seriously dark times these past couple years, and my return to duty is a tremendous victory in my life. Hopefully we will all benefit from my recovery.

15. Fred Wilson

Otto:
    When these old picture galleries are reconnected here again,
    many many old posts will have their pics re-inserted and interest will be sparked in reading them.

It would be really beneficial if you would open up the forum so that old posts can be edited again:
    - replacing dead links, out of date information, etc. etc.

Perhaps you might prefer to limit this to members who are above a certain reputation point?

Hope you consider this! At the very least as a temporary measure.

Tnx! Fred

16. freebird

freebird Member

Glad that things have come out for the better.
    I went through a very similar problem to yours, it's an awful situation to be in.

17. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Otto

Sounds brilliant !

The very best of British luck to your endeavours !

Ron

Fred Wilson likes this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ron, it's good to see you back here,we've been missing you , you know :)

19. Fred Wilson

Hear hear! Ron!!! [​IMG] back!

You are one of the best, most respected and valued members here and on our sister forum: http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Nice to have you around, Ron. I'm glad you're around here as well.