Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

commonwealth troops

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by landownunder, Nov 15, 2002.

1. landownunder

landownunder Member

i just dont like seeing only Great Britian being explained by it self when there are many small countries that played a big part in the overall sceme of things. for example the Australian and New Zeland forces. were the ones who held Tobruk slowed and then pushed back the Japanese in PNG.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

You have a good point but the Commonwealth effort is not totally overlooked.

Most books ( certainly the recent ones ) about, for example, the Battle of Britain or Bomber Command give full credit to the contribution of Autralia, New Zealand and Canada. And during the war itself much publicity was given to reassure the public that Britain was not 'alone'.

Among the first to lay wreaths at the Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday parade last week were representatives of all the Commonwealth countries.

But I agree that 'the public' today, and many general or less-well informed books overlook this.

3. Martin Bull

Although not the overall scheme of things, the Dambusters Raid is a good example for Bomber Command. I just opened my favourite book about the raid ( Sweetman ) and read : -

'Of the 21 pilots who initially joined Gibson for the operation, twelve were RAF ( including one Australian ), three RAAF, five RCAF ( including one American ) and one RNZAF...'

So some ( British ) historians do try to give credit where it's due.

For Tobruk and the Pacific ( especially New Guinea etc ) maybe some other members can comment...?

[ 15. November 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

4. Sniper

Sniper Member

Most decent historians will acknowledge the role of Commonwealth forces throughout the war, but unfortunately sometimes you do get the impression (especially in the movies) that;

The Americans were the only people fighting the Japanese in the Pacific,

North Africa was solely a British/German conflict (what Italians??),

D-Day was an American invasion of Europe, maybe with a little British (for Canadian read British) help, etc.

With books, I think this stems from the availablility of photos. The US seems to have had photographers just about everywhere, and although the British, Canadians, Australians etc had their photographers, I think because the US archive system is easier accessed, most of the pictures used are of US forces.

I can remember feeling amazed, and proud, when I saw the end of the movie "Battle of Britain", when it first came out, and they listed all the nationalities that had fought in the battle. I know I was still young then, but I didn't know that there were Aussies in there. I think that that was probably the first time I had ever seen an acknowledgement of the contribution of Commonwealth forces to the war effort.

"There is no cannibalism in the British navy, absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount."

- Sir John Cunningham

5. Kiwi Ace

Kiwi Ace Member

I don't think we do get overlook that much, but I have to agree that sometimes I still feel we do.

Did you know that Keith Park (a New Zealander) commarned the RAF fighter wing through Dunkirk (I cant spell it!) and the BOB. After the war it was said by the British Minister of Defence that if one man could be credited for winning the BOB it was Park.

And of course there is Charles Upham.

Just to name some of the Kiwis
    :cool:

6. Martin Bull

Several key figures in the Battle of Britain were from the 'Dominions' eg Al Deere and Colin Grey from NZ and 'Sailor' Malan from SA.

Later, of course, there was Air Marshal Sir Arthur ('Mary') Coningham, who for good measure was born in Australia and brought up in New Zealand !

7. Kiwi Ace

Kiwi Ace Member

Hi Martin,

One more interesting thing I found was NZ's Casualty rate.

NZ's was 24 per 100 (per 1000? may be a typo in my info) of population! (Only the Russains were higher)
    compared to

Australia - 13 per 1000
    Canada 9 per 1000

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

My grandfather has expressed very, very good about the British and the Commonwealth men as soldiers. The Australians, the New Zealanders, the Canadians and let's not forget the brave Indians!!! :cool:

9. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Roden Cutler VC
    Edward Sheehan MID-should have been awarded the VC
    Edward Kenna VC
    William Newton VC

They are never overlooked when I talk of the war-I guess as long as I speak of them, people know...

10. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

I'm a little confused, I just read 27 Canadians died in the Dambusters raid??