Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Arab-Israeli War Mass Graves Found

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by GRW, May 31, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Six mass graves features the remains of dozens of Palestinians killed during the Israeli-Arab war of 1948, when the Jewish state was founded have been uncovered in the Jaffa district of Tel Aviv.
    An official at the Muslim cemetery there told AFP that the grisly find happened on Wednesday when ground subsided as builders carried out renovation work.
    In 1948 Jaffa was a Palestinian town but there was an exodus of most of its Arab population when it fell to the fledgling Israeli army and right-wing Jewish militias.

Researcher and historian Mahmoud Obeid, a Jaffa resident, told As-Safri newspaper: 'We discovered six mass graves, two of which we dug up. Our estimate is that they contain around 200 bodies, with an unknown additional number in the other graves.

'The remains belong to people of different ages, including women, children and the elderly, some of which bear signs of violence.'
    [SIZE=1.2em]A local fisherman Atar Zeinab, 80, said that as a teenager during the final months of fighting in 1948 he helped to collect the Arab dead in the area south of Jaffa.[/SIZE]
    They were then brought for a quick burial in the cemetery, the area’s main graveyard."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334205/Mass-grave-uncovered-containing-dozens-Palestinians-killed-1948-war-founded-Israel.html#ixzz2Uv5txuWh

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

i'd be very careful with any news of body finds in Isreal or the Palestinian territories from previous conflcts etc...So many in the past have been debunked. El Arish springs to mind...It may well be true..but I've learned over the years there's sometimes more to the finding or exhuming of mass graves by both sides to be political rather than what is first thought.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

You have a valid point urqh, (did I actually just say that? gotta check my meds!) but I recall reading about either the '67 war or '73 war were Israelis interred either Syrians or Egyptians in mass graves and the '48 war was very fluid at times, so I would not completely rule it out.

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Neither would I mate...what happend on the road to the Allenby bridge can never be forgotten. I don't rule it out...but unitl someone comes up with a proof positive that they were executed or whatever rather than the casualties of as you say fluid fighting..I'll put it down to the fog of war...especially between these two folk.

belasar likes this.