Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Clinton Charles (Clint) Wigen 1949-2013

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Slipdigit, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hey guys,

We knew it was coming and several of you had contacted me, inquiring about Clint (brndirt1). Otto received a note from Clint's son today through the forum email. Our good friend from Billings, Montana died on June 22nd.

Here is his obituary from Billings Gazette,

I know it has to be a relief for him, with the way he was suffering, but I certainly hate to see him not here, keeping us straight on so many topics. He had a lot of friends in the forum as evidenced by the numbers of you who have contacted me over the past few weeks, asking about him. I had last talked to him via text about six weeks ago. He was not doing well then but was optimistic that he would see autumn.

I don't know how to go about approaching the passing of man none of us have ever met in person. We only knew him by the cogent, informative and relevant posts he made here, but for me that does not make his passing any less poignant to many of us. I suspect several you had backchannel discussions with him over the years; I certainly did. His insights on a broad range of subjects will be missed greatly.

We have not decided what else we will do to sustain the memory of Clint, but there will be more to follow.

Goodbye, you old cowboy.

Poppy, rkline56, Mehar and 8 others like this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

We lost a good man.

rkline56 likes this.
  3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's very rare for someone's bright character shines through on a place like an internet discussion board, but that exactly what Clint did. Over 5 years he was a member here he made a lasting impression on those who knew him or even just read his contributions. Often funny, always sincere, he made this place a better place and we are lucky to have had him as a members of our community.

By all account he had a very rough go of it near the end, and battled doggedly throughout. There is not much to be thankful for in this situation, other than his painful ordeal is abated.

Happy Trails Clint, I am going to miss you.

O.M.A. likes this.
  4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Clint and I disagreed politically, but he was always a gentleman and a kind soul. We have lost a great light on the forum.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Crap news.
    Top bloke.
    A gent.

Sincere condolences to his friends & family.

~A

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This is truly sad news. Although I never met him, we did communicate, mostly through email. He sent me CDs and books on subjects he thought I'd be interested in. We were mostly in agreement politically, but I never knew him to push his agenda. I suspect he knew more about WW2 than most, and he never hesitated to make us aware when he thought we erred.

He was a true gentleman and he will be missed personally by me and the whole community of WW2 enthusiasts.

Good bye, and good fortune to his friends and family.
    (There are many words and thoughts in my mind, but I find it difficult to articulate them)

7. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

He was a good dude.....I will miss him.

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

Damn, damn, damn.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My prayers and condolences to Clint's family and loved ones. It's traditional to say nice things about someone who has passed away. I think we all know that, in Clint's case, that's all there is TO say. He was a genuinely decent guy and will be sorely missed here.

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

:poppy:

Clint will be sorely missed. I really enjoyed his stories of life in Montana. His tales reminded me of those of a writer named Patrick McManus. Always had a recipe to share too :)

Goodbye my Friend

11. Natman

Natman Member

Sorry to hear this news. Keep on ridin' those Big Sky trails, Clint!

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Bugger. A principled fair minded and generous guy. One of the goodies in a world of baddies.

And a good cousin to the UK members. Will be sadly missed.

13. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

This is a sad night for the WW2F community. I enjoyed Clint's postings, even though we disagreed on several issues. I never met him or spoke to him one-on-one, but I am not afraid to say that he was one of the best parts of this forum.

Hopefully something can be done as a memorial.

14. Otto

It is being worked on by yours truly.

Clementine likes this.
  15. green slime

green slime Member

I never had the honor of meeting Clint, but will dearly miss his presence nonetheless. Rare breed of man.

My condolences to his family.

16. Otto

For those interested, here is Clint's introduction thread to WW2F, way back in July, 2008. In it he gives some brief details on the price his family paid in WW2, which was a heavy one. You get a very good feel of the type of easygoing and engaging person he was from the very start.

I came over to check this place out...

17. Clementine

Clementine Member

Happy Trails, Clint.

18. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I read the news this morning before I left for work. I've had a dark cloud over my day ever since. He really was, as everyone has said a great guy, knowledgeable, friendly and just an all around gentleman. He will be missed by me. If someone has an e-mail contact for Clint's son's send them a link to this thread. I hope it would give them comfort to know how highly their father was thought of, by complete strangers, and while we never met him in person, he was our friend.

19. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I have not been here as long as most, nor know as much about WW2 but I felt a huge rapport for Clint, his vast knowledge, wonderful delivery, common sense and solid character came through most clearly ..Though younger than I ,I felt him, no make that knew him to be much wiser than I If this forum were a building Clint would be it's cornerstone, I have had two former students die this month, thought , as many have said, did not no him personally, I feel his lost as much as theirs .

I would like to add my "Happy Trails, Clint" to the growing list.

Gaines

20. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Oh dear God.
    Happy trails, mate.