Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pictures from the immediate WW2 era.

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by gtblackwell, Sep 11, 2013.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

KodiakBeer, 4jonboy and von Poop like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Gaines,I think they have been posted before, but I don't know where. In any case, there are many newer rogues who have seen them. A little repetition is good for the soul. They are excellent photos.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Nice one, Gaines,
    Seen many, but it's a damned nice idea to concentrate some postwar images. (And that P47 over Berchtesgaden is a cracker).

The immediate aftermath of WW2 doesn't get enough coverage to my mind, and it's a fascinating period. There's been a few recent attempts to fill something of a publication gap, but it can still be sketchy getting info - eg. I still blunder about picking up Allied Control Commission stuff here & there, comparatively little focused in one place.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In the 1990s, I recorded about 6 hours of video conversations with my grandfather. We talked about his life from birth to that point. I've since converted the 8mm tape to digital.

During the conversations, he talked about his limited wartime experience and then about coming home. He said it was such a relief when the war ended and that the people were so upbeat and ready to get on with their lives after the depression and a war.

I remember the joy after the First Gulf War and can only imagine the feelings people had after the monstrosity that was WWII ended.

I received a large number of family photos that one of my uncle's had scanned. There is a noticeable difference in the number of photos made in 1945 and 46 vs other years around that era. It was almost as though they were making the effort to record their joy.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Always good to see postwar photos, Gaines.

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I found them of high quality and very compelling as a viewer, That era interest me as well. I cannot imagine how difficult the rebuilding effort was, psychologically and physically. Add to that the beginning of the Cold War to complicate complicated matters. Oddly that great shot of the P 47 is the only one I had seen.

Gaines