Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I-400

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by denny, Sep 13, 2013.

1. denny

denny Member

Anybody know if the USA gleaned much Info/Technology from the sub(s) they captured.?
    I guess it was covered with some kind of Plastic-Cementitious-Tar kind of "stuff" that aided in radar absorption
    Man.....WWII was the shoulders that modern day technology stood on.
    Cannot believe how advanced stuff was getting back then...thanks to the War
    Thank You.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

If you're interested in learning more about these subs, pick up a copy of 'Operation Storm' by John Geoghegan. Its an excellent book that details the Sen Toku program from its inception to I-400 and I-401's disposal as torpedo targets in 1946.

4. denny

denny Member

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah...that link is huge...huge.!
    Makes a person wonder what "classified" stuff the USA was pursuing.
    Thanks Again

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Denny it seems to me periods of intense combat certainly accelerates exploration and stimulates inventiveness in order to gain advantage or counter the enemy.

I 400 and the peroxide U Boats being examples but the German efforts seem far in advance. One could think of the V 2 as an early cruise missile and the V 1 as an ICBM prototype. We certainly scrambled to get them as well as ME 262's . Post WW 1 was a bit of a lull, except for the Germans, but the Cold War stimulated tremendous efforts in combat efficiency.

Evolution is indeed interesting.. The Russians built titanium hulled subs to escape ferromagnetic detection but discovered they were noisy which increased our sound detection equipment so the Russians made rubberized skins to deaden sound, endless and endlessly interesting.

Fortunately such technology makes it's way into peace time usage. Nuclear sub "burst " radio transmissions are common place on our telephones today

6. lwd

lwd Ace

My understanding is that one reason the Japanese subs were all scuttled was that the treaty said if we kept some we'd have to share them with the Soviets and at the time they thought that they would be of more use to them than to us.