Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Canadian Badass Tells Monty To Kiss His Pucks

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by KodiakBeer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Then dashes off to liberate an entire town on his own.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/01/remember-me-leo-major

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G_HXt4Jbrg

Johnesgef and linuixeplerve like this.
  2. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thanks Kodiak with Remembrance Day coming up it is especially important to remember those who helped ensure our freedom.

KTK

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

This guy makes Sgt. York look like a pansie!

4. denny

denny Member

So this is a clip for "an upcoming documentary".?

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yes, but the link is to a newspaper article about him. An incredible soldier!

6. Owen

Owen O

Never understood that phrase coming from those in North American , Hitler's mob couldnt cross the Channel & capture the UK so they sure as hell woudnt make it across the Atlantic.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Well, if it wasn't for us norteamericano's y'all would be speaking... I'd better stop or I'll have Urqh showing up at my door with a cricket bat.

I don't agree with Major's anti-Monty attitude, but it just demonstrates the kind of prickly I-don't-give-a-damn personality that you find in crazy sons-a-bitches who perform insanely heroic deeds in war.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

I think the idea was that if Germany took over all of Europe eventually it would have been a threat to the US. Being closer to the resources of Africa and Asia as well as Europe in a long term cold war they might actually have won and even if they didn't the changes that would likely permeate through the US would not all be for the best. That's why the majority of Americans very early on recognized that a German victory was not in the US interest.

9. André7

André7 Active Member

The thread was about Leo Major telling Monty to stick his medal up his ass. It must have caused great embarasment to his Canadian high command.

I read somewhere that this was linked to his (Major's) feelings about "Operation Market Garden", its losses, and the suffering it eventually caused both the Dutch people (eventually with 22,000 people dying of hunger) and the Canadian soldiers tasked with slogging through the Netherlands. Major participated in the fighting around Caen (another debatable Monty "victory'). I won't even go into a French-Canadian's feelings about Canadian troups under overall British command.

What I wonder is, would a soldier in the field, disgruntled as he may have been after months of hard fighting, had the strategic perspective to hold those opinions or refuse a medal on those grounds, or is this just some arm chair Internet historian overlaying his own ideas on the events later.

I only found out about this wonderful man literaly yesterday from my 14 year old son. Hopefully I can find some books on his accomplishments.

10. André7

André7 Active Member

P.S. Owen and lwd, please stay on topic. Anyone who puts on the uniform of their country becomes an ambassador for their country's values, traditions and ideals. Not saying they are good representatives of what's best in their country, but they do place themselves in that position.

While Major wore the Canadian uniform and volunteered to fight overseas, he was a sampling of Canada at that time in the eyes of the world. Given the ideas that fascism in Europe and Asia represented, he was defending freedom even above and beyond his own reasons for joining up.