Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1871st Aviation Engineer Battalion - South Pacific Theater

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by conte, Apr 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. conte

conte recruit

Looking for more veterans or relatives of veterans who served with this battalion. This was a "mixed" battalion, white officers and black enlisted. I have a roster of about 50 names, but continue the search for more and any stories from the veterans.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Post the names, maybe family members looking for a specific name will find it and contact you.

What information do you have and what else are you looking for?

3. conte

conte recruit

I have accumulated over 250 names thus far from the records I have found. I will list a few names here right now to see if it generates any mail, but posting the hundreds of names I have may not be feasible here. Also included whatever detail I could find about the individual too.

2nd Lt. Carrol Robinson Alexander S/N 01110571 - 2 March 1943 Assigned from Ft Belvoir, VA to AAB, Greenville, SC - 1871st EAB
    T-5 Earl L Allen S/N 32690573 Awarded good conduct medal 1945
    Master Sgt. Granville H Alley - Motor Pool - S/N 36551666 16 July 1944 awarded Good Conduct Ribbon
    Staff Sgt. Ephrain L Alston S/N 34562777 Awarded good conduct medal 1945
    Sgt James Anderson, S/N 34663110 Awarded good conduct medal 1945
    Pvt George Gillespie - 1/31/1944 wounded during Jap bombing of sea craft carrying men back from Langemak Bay, 8/26/45 awarded Purple Heart
    Staff Sgt Wade J Turnipseed 26 August 1945 awarded Bronze Star Medal
    T-4 William A Wiggins Jr. S/N 32651097 September 1945 awarded Bronze Star
    Lt. Col Gregory J. Skinner 2/25/45 (Mjr) assigned from FEAF as Battalion Commander; 9/1945 awarded Bronze Star; 10/4/45 promoted to LTC

I have lots more names - although in some cases, only a last name.. still searching. If anyone has any information on the men listed above, please share!

I have official field activity and history reports turned in by the battalion officers during the war, as well as copies of the battalion newsletter they published overseas, called "the Tropical Informer". Most of the men I have identified thus far, have come from reading those reports and newsletters, plus my father's personal account of his own and the battalion activities. I have only a few pictures however and none of the complete battalion of what was probably close to 800 men.