Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USS Monitor (LSV-5)

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by McCabe, Apr 11, 2014.

1. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

I just started researching my grandfather who was in the Navy during World War 2. Through Ancestry.com, I have located some Navy muster lists that *appear* to list my grandfather (Joseph Grant McCabe III as Joseph McCabe) as having served on the USS Monitor. I plan on eventually requesting his records as well as probably delving into ship records if they exist... but I'm wondering if, for the time being, anyone has any online sources where I could find info on the USS Monitor (LSV-5) beyond the basic Wiki entry. Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The website Fold3.com has a great collection of downloadable documents for the USS Monitor. It is a pay site, but I believe they do still have a 7-day trial membership that is free.

The documents available are: Monthly War Diaries from Jun 1944 to Dec 1945; Report of Landing Ops in the Invasion of Leyte Is. (20-23 Oct 1944); Report of AA act NE coast of Mindanao Is., Philippines (13 Nov 1944); Report of Landing Ops for the amphibious assault landing at Lingayen Gulf (9 Jan 1945); Report of Ops in the assault landing at San Antonio-Castillejos-San Filipe area, Luzon, PI (29 Jan 1945); Report of Ops in assault landing at Grande Is., Subic Bay, Luzon (30 Jan 1945).

There is also a 1 page War History of the USS Monitor which I have attached below.

View attachment 20658

FYI, Fold3.com also has the Muster Rolls for the years 1944 - 1947 for the USS Monitor.

Attached Files:

3. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Excellent, thanks (again) for the help.

4. TD-Tommy776

Not a problem. Always happy to help when I can. :dance4:

5. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

So I've been searching on Fold3 and I'm turning up several Joseph McCabes that were in the Navy in WW2. I'm not convinced my grandfather was on the Monitor. Another muster list had "Joseph G. McCabe III" which is his full name... and that was for the USS Natchez. So I'm leaning towards that ship. I am considering requesting his records, but there's a chance someone else in the family has them so I am holding off on spending the money to order them from NARA.

6. TD-Tommy776

Well, if you got the trial membership, it may be worth downloading what they have on the USS Natchez before it expires just in case.

7. Wgvsr

Wgvsr New Member

McCabe:
    Any idea where your grandfather served during the War ? While the Monitor served in the Pacific, USS Natchez [PF 02] served in the Atlantic and was still there when the War ended. She assisted in sinking U-548 off Cape Henry in April, 1945. After the War, she was sold to the Dominican Republic as JUAN PABLO DUARTE and grounded heavily, becoming a CTL in either Nov, 49 or 1957 at Porto Plata, I believe probably the former. She was apparently sold and may have been converted to a yacht [Moineau ?] in 1957. I have no records of her after that.
    Bill

8. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

No idea. What I know is that he was in the Navy during WW2 (and Korea) and he participated in the V-12 Program (Ursinus College). From there, it's my understanding that he probably then attended the V-7 program where upon graduation he received his commission as Ensign, and most likely entered active duty. He ultimately retired with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. I have no idea if he was ever deployed anywhere or if he saw action anywhere.

I came up with the Monitor and Natchez strictly based on a name search through Fold3, and I researched both ships. However, I soon found other instances of Navy personnel who served during WW2 with the exact or similar name (iterations of Joseph Grant McCabe; Joseph McCabe, J Grant McCabe) with multiple service numbers and references to additional ships, including an LST that was involved with several Marine landings in the Pacific.

I'm stiill a ways off from obtaining his records via his widow, and I've pretty much exhausted all of my online options. So my search has been on hold for the time being.

Thanks for the response.