Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from H-Town!

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Cadillac, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

Hey guys, my name's Jack and I'm from Houston, TX. I've had an interest in the military for a long time, as my mother's family holds very deep roots in the Armed Forces. Every single man on my mother's side has been in the military since before the revolutionary war. Her father was in the Army in the fifties and sixties, his father was a 1920s Signal Corps vet, his father was a veteran of the Spanish-American War, his father fought with the 79th Illinois Volunteers in the Civil War, his father fought in the War of 1812, and his father fought for the Americans in the Revolution. I have MANY more military ancestors than that, but I won't go into that now. I'm planning to attend college then go to Marine Corps or Army (haven't decided) OCS and be commissioned an officer. The tribute in my signature is to my great-great uncle Jack O'Hara, who fought with the 158th Infantry "Bushmasters" on New Guinea and Luzon, earning a Bronze Star with "V" and catching some shrapnel for a Purple Heart. He passed away in 1988, but from what I've heard he was a great man and he's one of my heroes. I'll be doing a piece on him in the Obits section on Monday, when I get in touch with his American Legion. I can also make these tributes for you, if you send me a personal message telling me your relative's name, rank, his decorations, period of service, and unit. That wraps it up for me, I'll make a post in another section about the tributes thing.

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

I now realize that I should credit Earthican for giving me the idea for the tributes. His tributes, although he's not making them anymore, are much better than mine. I liked the idea of honoring our veterans with these tributes, so I decided to make my own. All credit for the idea goes to him.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, Jack. You shouldn't sell yourself short. Besides, the main thing is that we remember an honor the service of our WWII veterans. I think it's great that you are offering to help others do the same.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard!

5. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum Jack

Lesley

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Jack, good to have you join. I look forward to your posts.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hello Jack. You've taken the idea of tributes and made it your own. No need to apologize. The fact that we're here shows that tributes are not uncommon.

9. pchepurko

pchepurko New Member

Jack, welcome aboard. You have a great family linage. If you choice the Marine Corps you will not regret it. It was the best decision I ever made.

10. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here!

11. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welcome to the forum, Jack.