We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Rommel's reputation - deserved or political ploy?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,596 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

Personally I thought my answer was:" it was a hit-and run, just to show that the operation could take control of an area, even if it was a small area just in the perimeter of Dieppe, but this did not take place and was considered a failure."

Interesting if Neilland is correct and the losses actually took place during retreat...

I will try to find find the book  about where the tanks were meant to go and the area they were to hold, but this was mostly considered a mission by Churchill to show Stalin there was no chance in **** to start a second front in the west. Quite pricey show....

Posted Image

#102 harolds

harolds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

For the short term, the Allies could do without a deep-water harbor by shuttling their supplies and forces over from England in small craft. However once they landed all their forces and were operating well beyond the beach head, the deep water ports became a necessity. I doubt the Allies  could have re-supplied all their forces in late '44, early '45 without Antwerp and Cherbourg. Which makes me think that if the Germans had some way to sink a considerable number of LSTs and LSIs early on, the invasion might have run into significant trouble.

#103 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,596 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Hitler had ordered all his subs etc to attack the invasion convoy... The RN did its job then...

Posted Image

#104 harolds

harolds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:52 PM

Using  snorkels, some U-boats got shots at Allied ships and sank a few of these smaller ships. Most of them got sunk in return. The impression I got from my reading is that air-dropped mines did more damage. I remember reading one horror story where a troop ship hit a mine and sank slowly but the troops were LOCKED in the ship when the crew abandoned it, and IIRC, something like 1200 died.

#105 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,596 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Dönitz was in shock because Hitler practically asked the Krigsmarine do a suicide mission....After that he would have nothing left...

Posted Image

#106 Triton

Triton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

Mines would have been the weapon of (my) choice against an invasion force or better against the supporting ships. I guess they were too expensive when effective (there were intelligent mines in 1944, very difficult to find with regular methods). But less expensive than U-Boats, that's for sure.

There were some S-Boat-attacks too, the coast commanders at the french coast wished they had PT-Boats: small, fast, 2 Torpedoes, crew of a few men. They considered them to be the ideal weapon in this circumstances.

#107 harolds

harolds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

@Kai:  I believe Donitz pushed his boats into the channel after the invasion. He felt that since this was one of the pivotal battles of the war, the KM had to do everything it could to help the German cause. Even if a boat only sunk a couple of LSIs or whatever, it would help the German Army in their struggle.

Also understand that Donitz was very much a Hitler fan. Even at the end of the war he thought well of Hitler. He wouldn't go along with Hitler's ideas of machine-gunning  ship crews but he thought Hitler was great. Didn't have too much respect for most of the others around Hitler though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users