Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Painting over Soviet Monuments in Bulgaria

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JeffinMNUSA, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Attached Files:

2. Richard71

Richard71 Member

Pretty much irrespective of why it might be done, the vandalism of war memorials is very unpleasant. The Soviet dead of WW2 (and those of other combatants) should be respected.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I largely agree with Richard71, the one quibble however I have is that this monument, like many others in Central./Eastern Europe, was somewhat forced upon them by the Soviet Union as a propaganda device as much as a record of heroic deeds.

4. Richard71

Richard71 Member

That's a fair point belasar. My response to the photographs was on an emotional level and there are rational reasons why the memorial might not sit well with some Bulgarians. It's sad to see a memorial so defaced though.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

while I understand why people destroy Stalinist monuments (unrelated to the war) , I do not support those who vandalize war memorials.

6. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I have an impression that in the effort to get rid of Soviet era reminders we are going to see some "rewriting of history" that is no closer to reality than the Soviet propaganda was, cold war era western history was not exactly objective.

Nothing surprising there, it takes time for events to become sufficiently politically neutral for "propaganda free" research .... and then the internal dynamics of accademia take over to muddy things up :eyebrows:.

And in the case of the great patriotic war momuments outside the USSR we should not forget quite a number of the current population lost parents fighting against the red army, I do not justify vandalism but the issue is not simple, there certainly are not many monuments celebrating Napoleon's victories left in Italy.