Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anthony Smith

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Aug 26, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Against the advice of well-meaning doubters, the author, explorer and inveterate adventurer Anthony Smith sailed across the Atlantic on a sail-powered raft. He was in his eighties. A sailor, pilot and balloonist, he had travelled the length of Africa in both directions by motorcycle. He was appeared on television and wrote articles and more than two dozen books.

But the voyage he planned in his eighties led people to question his sanity. “Other people use that word, mad, all the time,” he said after his crossing. “But I was determined. So I just went ahead and did it.” Smith’s five children, he said, were not “totally co-operative.”
    His raft was named Antiki, a reference to Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon-Tiki, which made a celebrated voyage across the Pacific in 1947. Crew members were recruited through an advertisement seeking older people who were “serious adventurers only.” Smith and his crew of three – Andrew Bainbridge, David Hildred and John Russell, none younger than 56 – set sail from the Canaries on 30 January 2011.
    No great sailing skill was demanded on the Antiki, which measured about 20 by 40 feet and rested on an array of plastic pipes. The raft had no motor and was powered by a single sail. “You don’t have to do much,” Smith said of navigating. “The wind and the current take you.”
    In the first week the raft’s two rudders broke. After about three weeks the supply of fresh food was gone. In 10 weeks the wind and current took Smith from the Canary Islands, off the African coast, to the Caribbean island of St Martin, which he reached on 6 April after more than two months at sea.
    Raft travel was slow going. Sailing day and night, Smith and his crew made their way across the ocean at about 2.4mph. Because Smith missed his original destination of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, he embarked on a second trip in 2012, sailing from St Martin to Eleuthera with a crew of two women and three men.
    His voyage was inspired by his interest in a Second World War story of survival at sea. After their ship was sunk, two sailors had drifted across the Atlantic in an 18ft boat for 70 days before landing at Eleuthera. “That whole story fascinated me,” he said. As a young man, lack of funds had kept him from trying to duplicate the voyage, and later he was held back by job responsibilities. Finally, he said, when he became “very much older,” the idea of a raft voyage still gripped him. “Am I supposed to potter about, pruning roses and admiring pretty girls?” he asked. “Or should I do something to justify my existence?”
    Smith was born in 1926 in Buckinghamshire and grew up at Cliveden, the Astor family’s estate which was managed by his father. During the Second World War he served in the Royal Air Force Reserves. He studied zoology at Oxford University and as a young man made an expedition to Iran, exploring underwater tunnels and discovering a new species of fish, which was named for him. Later he wrote for the Manchester Guardian then left to head the South African magazine Drum, which he described as “the voice of black unrest.” His return trip was made by motorcycle. He worked for The Guardian and spent six years as science correspondent for the Daily Telegraph."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/anthony-smith-writer-and-adventurer-who-in-his-eighties-sailed-a-raft-made-of-plastic-from-the-canaries-to-the-bahamas-9692165.html