Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Market Garden-320 Squadron

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Bobby breach, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Bobby breach

Bobby breach New Member

Hello; these last few days reading and hearing about the anniversary of Market Garden has brought much nostalgia to me.
    Ever since my Father ( 1916-1994 ) told me the many stories of his past military involvement in World War Two, increasingly, I have done more and more research into the details he gave me.
    My father was a Dutchman, conscripted into the Dutch army in 1936. On May 10,1944, as the Germans were invading Holland, my father was able to escape. Going through Belgium and France, he ended up in Porthcawl Wales on May 15th as did other Dutch soldiers. He became part of the Prinses Irene Brigade. He then was trained as a pilot having been sent for training in Canada. Upon his return to England, he was attached to 320 Squdron of the RAF. His logbook indicates that he flew B25 Mitchell's during Market Garden battles on Both September 25,26 over both Arnhem and Breskins respectively. He survived then was attached to 860Squadron flying Swordfish aircraft from Northern Ireland using converted freighters as landing ships.
    This short bio is my topic that I hope will find some networking with members whom may have been related to other such family members with similar information.
    Respectfully
    Robert de Hartog

2. Bobby breach

Bobby breach New Member

I must change the date of the German invasion of Holland from May 10/44 to May 10-1940!
    Please accept this correction.

3. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Welcome to the forum Robert. What an interesting story about your father--a true hero.
    I have good friends here with the last name den Hartog-- could there be any connection?

4. Bobby breach

Bobby breach New Member

Hello Sir;
    Thank you so much for your welcome!
    My surname apparently could well have different spellings as my research has found that during the Napoleonic era, and the many confused boundary changes of those times, changes may have occurred.
    I look forward to reading as much as I can about the many topics of this site........it is quite humbling to realize the many sacrifices made in WW2 as with other theatres of war that enables us to communicate so freely.
    The generation of combatants of that time are reducing each day. I was blessed in that my father discussed openly his war times and as well the efforts he had made to leave me a detailed album of the chronology of his service. I have one of his flying jackets complete with his original RAF wings.
    Thank you again Sir.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hello, Robert. Welcome to the forum. Your father certainly had his fair share of adventures. You're fortunate that he told you of his time in service. There is much to read about Market Garden on this site, so enjoy the reading. If we can help, don't be afraid to ask.
    Pictures of what you have would be appreciated.

6. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welkom Robert.

7. Bobby breach

Bobby breach New Member

The next topic I am intending on posting relates to the September 25, 1944 320 Squadron mission which had a sad incident in Schaarsbergen wherein several Dutch inhabitants were killed.
    Does anyone have more information on that incident relating to 320 Squadron?

8. Bobby breach

Bobby breach New Member

Hello; having researched further; my father ew 10 missions with 320 Squadron. His crew consisted of 2 Belgians and a Canadian. The Belgians were; de Limolette, Verneiren, and the Canadian was Bouwman. i also learned that their raid on September 25/44 was met with heavy flak and several FW190 German fighters.
    I would love to learn more about his crew's lives after the war.
    I have been in contact with a Dr van Loo, a military academic who has recently published a book ( in Dutch) about Dutch pilots during WW2.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, Robert.