Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stuka wreck found in the Adriatic

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by TiredOldSoldier, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

2. The Great Greek

The Great Greek Sock Puppet

Seems they think it was one operated by the Regia Areonautica, out of Albania or Croatia.

I think the Director of the Institute that preserves Aircraft is planning to bring it up and attempt preservation, as they have done for a B-17.

Don't we have an I talian speaker on the forum? My Italiano is very limited! Sorry, TOS. From your comments about the slovenian footage, I would have guessed your Italian is much much better than mine!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It says an almost Stuka relic was found in the Adriatico and that 1941 was the height of the German power and that the Stuka siren meant a bomb was about to be dropped whether on soldiers or civilian. Such a stuka relic was found near the Island of zirje near the Croatian coast after 70 years. It was probably shot down by the Yougoslavian navy in April 1941 during the invasion of the Balkan by the Axis. It is poosible that this one was fitted with Italians colours and fough the Operation on Albania. It's in perfect condition because it sunk slowly and horizontally until it reached the bottom. Others were found previously in Norway and Greece but not in such condition . It 's the second time such a found wa smade in the area following the B-17 near Vis.

Hope this helps , it's a bit summarized. (don't tell people I understand Italian or I'll be flooded with simlar requests. )

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I'm Italian and I found this in my daily paper, was waiting to see if anyone was interested before going to the trouble of translating but Skipper beat me to it, the airframe looks to be in exceptionally good conditions (much better preserved than the Re 2000 they recently raised) but no markings are visible n the pictures. . A Ju87B, and judging by the rear canopy it's a B (or the practically identical R) could be Italian especially if lost in 1941, I wonder if the claim that the only Ju87 in a museum is the one at the Imperial War Museum is correct, IIRC it's a Ju87D so shouldn't be in the BoB hall, they also had a Ju88G night fighter alongside it as they don't own a Ju88A bomber :eyebrows:.

After some more googling ....

There are some more pictures at the link below, apparently it's a Ju87R2 Regia Areonautica plane from 239ma Squadriglia lost on April 12 1941.

http://flightgearitalia.forumcommunity.net/?t=56872939

Skipper likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for the additional details. So it's confirmed it's an Italian one!

6. Takao

Takao Ace

It's not, Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, has the other complete one, a Ju 87 R-2/Trop, Werk Nr. 5954. There are some others, but they are all, unrestored, under restoration, or wrecks.

7. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

C. Shore's book Air war for Yougoslavia Greece and Crete 1940-1941 reports: Near Sibenik 3 Italian Ju 87 attacked 2nd division torpedo boats, the crews claiming to have hit two of the attackers with return fire. These wpuld seem to have been aircraft of 238 squadriglia, 101 Gruppo BT. The Regia Areonautica recorded on 12th April that one of these aircraft was shot down by AA while a second was forced to ditch in the Adriatic, Ten Carlo Bongiovanni and his gunner being lost in the former aircraft - it seems likely that these losses actually occurred on the day before. Note that the Italian record mentions 238 not 239 squadrigllia (both flew Ju 87) and there is no mention of the fate of the crew of the ditched plane though the state of the wreck suggests the ditching went rather smoothly.

Now I'm curious about what ships were in 2nd division torpedo boats. Beograd was reported damaged by Italian dive bombers while supporting the attack on the Fiume enclave, but fount no dates of the attack so far. She had 2 twin 40mm AA (Bofors 40/56 according to some sources) and 2 MG so a pretty decent AA by early war standards.