Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pocket Pistol

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am looking at purchasing a small frame handgun that will fit in either in my waistband in a hidden holster or freely in my trouser or coat pocket.

I need to keep it well under $400 so I am looking at a Taurus 738. Anyone have any exposure to this weapon and wish to comment?

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Mmmm. The 738 could have an issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPqBwUIr6k

Slipdigit likes this.
  3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I've never seen a 738 up here (far below the legal 4.1" minimum barrel length) but from the reviews I've read it seems like a good gun for the price. $200 bucks for any new-production pistol is hard to beat. The one thing I don't like is the lack of a safety (I'm always weary to holster any firearm without a safety) but this is your call.

I'm partial to the M1911A1 (I have three -- a 1944 Springfield, 2011 Remington R1 and a 2013 Sig STX), so there's always one of the "Officer" models with a 3" or 3.5" barrel to consider. The cheapest ones I know of such as the Citadel Compact have MSRPs of around $500 or so. You might be able to pick up a used one for less. In fact, I see a Citadel on GunBroker now for $400.

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Comparison of 4 micro's:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K6vKL0mmXQ

Slipdigit likes this.
  5. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Evil double action only ray gun looking things. Blech!

6. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I haven't any experience with a 738 but have you considered a used 5 or 6 shot .38 snubbie?

Buten42 likes this.
  7. lwd

lwd Ace

Slipdigit likes this.
  8. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Those Bonds remind me of a story I read a long time ago about Ike. It said he carried a Model 95 Remington over/under in .41 rimfire while he was in the Philippines. He used it to shoot rats on visits to the outhouse.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

When you get down to a blowback pistol that size they will just eat your hand up. The slap is terrific - like somebody hitting your palm with an iron rod. And, while you may be able to use it effectively at the range (between gasps of pain), that's not something you'd want in an emergency, perhaps with a poor grip or in your off hand. Hard to hit stuff...

There are two locked breech micro .380's, but you'll have to pay a little more. A locked breech spreads out the recoil and makes these micro guns far easier to shoot well. One is the Colt Mustang, which they finally brought back after years of customers complaining that they'd stopped selling them. The other is the Sig P238, which is basically a copy of the Colt Mustang.

I have a vintage Colt Mustang and I wouldn't part with it for the world. Both the Colt and the Sig are essentially miniature 1911's. I think you can find them for about $600, depending on which bells and whistles you want.

The basic Sig model at $499: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sig-sauer-p238-380-auto-pistol/pid-421723

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Khar .380 is a brand a lot of guys at work carry as a back up. Starting to see more of the Springfield XD compacts and sub compacts show up in the larger caliber 9MM and .45 ACP

11. Slipdigit

I have one. There are times that it is just too conspicuous, even under clothing.

I've looked at these. They seem to fit well in the front pocket of trousers. I like the idea of a handheld shotgun, even if it is a .410.

12. Slipdigit

Price is a bit steep, but will look at them more closely.
    Thanks. I'll give them a looksee.

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Just remember that locked breech thing. I wish I could lend you my Mustang to test fire against a blow-back micro. It's like night and day. One feels and shoots like a real gun and the other is more like a gimmick. When you get up to the size of a PPK a blow-back functions pretty well, but in these tiny guns it's not something I would stake my life on. It's hard enough to hang onto a gun that size without the drawback of that slap you get from blow-backs. I've owned both, so take that for what it's worth. I'd spend the extra $100 and get a Sig.

14. Slipdigit

I am pretty sure that my friends probably own some of the weapons mentioned. I'll probably hit them up and see.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  15. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Jeff, with so many options it seems like an easy decision but it certainly is not . I looked at various 380s and marveled at how small they are but one shot found them snappy and uncomfortable. I had rather shoot my Sig 228 9 mm than a Ruger 380 PCP but of course the Sig is huge by comparison so not a choice. You are both younger, stronger and larger than me so you will have to try out some to see how they work for you.

The S&W Bodyguard auto has a good grip for the class and most of the other traits. I have shot a Sig 238 and agree with KB about it but I am frugal.. Still it might be your life . I loved the feel of the PCP but not pulling the trigger! ! It certainly conceals well.

All the revolvers are simply a bit large.

I have owned two Taurus guns, 9mm proved to be unreliable and two trips home did not help, could just be the particular gun. I bought my wife a 94 22 magnum. Nice looking gun but 8 pound single action and 21 pound double !. I traded out for Wolff springs , smooth, lighter but too many failure's to fire. But have friends that swear by them.

I think one has to actually shoot a gun to decide. Best of luck and please report back. Very interesting topic.

Gaines

Slipdigit likes this.
  16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Taxi Driver 1976:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBn3fW1ijU

17. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I'm a sucker for all things Sig -- all the ones I own/have handled are fantastic firearms. Well, except the Mosquito -- but lets not go there. I have no experience with the P238 but I assume its another fine piece. The fact that its all-metal is a big bonus in my mind. I'm old fashioned and don't like my guns with all this "space age" plastic crap on them! Steel and wood any day....

Are you planning on carrying full-time? I have a concealed carry permit in one of the Caribbean island chains that shall remain nameless. I rarely do so (usually only if I'm going to the bank or on one of the remote beaches) but when I do I'm carrying a Sig P226 Elite Stainless in 9mm. Its not a small or light pistol by any means, but you can conceal it with a bit of effort. It does tend to pull your belt down though. Its stainless because a.), I like it (its also my go-to target gun down there when I'm using the police range) and b.) makes it less susceptible to rust. I'm sure its far too bulky for your purposes but if worst comes to worst I'd rather not take any chances with a small-frame firearm. I have an identical one up here and I've yet to have a jam with a few thousand rounds down the pipe.

Slipdigit likes this.
  18. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Colt stopped making the Mustang just before the CCW explosion hit the US in the 90's. It was a stupid and embarrassing corporate mistake. Sig jumped on that and made the P238, which is the same as the Mustang pocketlite except they improved on the one failure of the Mustang and put good sights on it. Now, Colt has brought back the Mustang but they still don't have decent sights. The people at Colt are just stupid, I guess. You probably don't need great sights on a pocket pistol, but it's nice to know you have them if you do need them.

Anyway, both of these are just scaled down Browning 1911's with aluminum frames. The barrel tilts down (improved feed reliability) and then tilts back up and locks with the slide which gives you that extra time which spreads out the recoil and makes it a push instead of a slap.

The other micros are just fixed barrel blowbacks with a heavy spring and a plastic frame. They aren't as reliable and they are further handicapped by heavy squirt gun triggers. They are no fun to shoot, they are hard to hit a target with and at $400 you are only saving $100 over the Sig (if you shop around...). You'll pay a few bucks more for the Colt, but that may be worth it to a lot of people because Colts always have a better resale value - the name.

I agree with George too, that a gun made of steel and walnut (or even aluminum in this case) is always preferable to a plastic gun. I'd add that any gun designed by John Moses Browning himself, is better than a gun designed by nameless technicians more interested in cheap production than reliability and durability,

Slipdigit likes this.
  19. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

This thread needs the obvious Mae West reference...

Attached Files:

20. Slipdigit

This handgun will only be carried when one of my other hog-legs is impractical.

Alabama is a open-carry state, but I do not do so unless it is appropriate. Alabama is odd, in that we have to have a concealed carry permit to have it in a vehicle and accessible. On the plus side, the state is a shall issue state, so getting a concealed carry permit is a fairly painless endeavor. Thankfully, all the states around us offer reciprocity.