Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by 762ndengLEco, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 762ndengLEco

762ndengLEco New Member

Already did a post.

I am a middle "boomer" as to birth year. My dad, a surviving uncle, and multiple deceased relatives were in WWII. My dad went to the APT July 1945, pretty late in the war. He had some unusual experiences, specifically in basic, that I always wonder about. He also got called up for Korea. He used to say he was in Korea in WWII but in Korean conflict, he got to "stay home".

He passed in 2012. I carry 2 items of his in my wallet & I share with certain folks. One is his last DL with his birthdate. The other is his honorable discharge wallet card (reduced, laminated) which he said was commonly done/carried by WWII vets who made it home. Most important ID when looking for a job he said. Also common with those called up for Korea as he was.

His ER & Rep of Serv/honorable discharge shows his birthdate 2 years before he was actually born. This is the official record and could be typo but when I asked him about it, he always changed the subject. Always heard about guys lying about their age after Pearl Harbor. He turned 16 yrs old 4 days after Pearl Harbor. Being "18" instead of 16 was critical if you wanted to join the was effort. His older brother, my uncle, was couple years older, always thought that might have been part of the deal. Difference in being born in 1922/23 vs 1925 was huge as to where you ended up in the war.

Anyway, just curious to learn. I do not think anyone of my generation could understand what it must of been like in early December, 1941 and the subsequent war years.

Really enjoy the depth of history, knowledge, patriotism and all around class I have found here.

Thanks,

762ndengLEco

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard 762!

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, 762ndengLEco.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. It would be great if you could post scans of the documents you have.

6. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welcome to the forum, 762ndengLEco

7. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the site 762ndengLEco. You'll not find a classier bunch of guttersnipes, vagabonds, and tramps that this very site!