Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW1 Bristol Scout Restored

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Oct 24, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

See how fragile these damned things were.
    "TWO brothers have spent 12 years rebuilding a World War One plane flown by their grandfather after discovering some of the parts in his shed.
    David and Rick Bremner spent more than a decade and £100,000 on painstakingly restoring the historic aircraft.
    Their ambitious project began when they discovered three small parts of the Bristol Scout Type-C plane in their grandfather's garden, after his death in 1983.
    Fl Sub Lt Francis "Bunnie" Donald Holden Bremner had flown the plane between 1914 and 1918, while serving with the Royal Naval Air Service during the Gallipoli campaign.
    The war hero had always told his family he wanted to see it fly once more. So David, 63, and Rick, 61, along with PAL[​IMG] Theo Willford, 66, set about honouring his wish.
    Collectively, they have spent 10,000 hours rebuilding the plane - having started with just a joystick, a rudder bar and a magneto, which is a small electric generator.
    The trio scoured the globe for components - including the engine, which was bought from New Zealand.
    Now their 20ft (6m) plane - with a wingspan of 24ft (7m) - is finally complete.
    It will take to the skies next spring and the men plan to fly it over the River Somme on July 1, 2016 - 100 years after the fateful day in 1916 when almost 20,000 British soldiers died in battle."
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/527052/WW1-plane-restored

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sweet! But I'm not going up in plane where you can see thru the wings! :)

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah, wondered how scout's were able to operate from ships. They looked very fragile, and a big wave or wind could tear 'em apart.
    Although the less delicate AD Seaplane Type 1000 of 1916 carried a recoiless 12 pounder... I Know! Who'd have thunk.
    http://www.wwiaviation.com/popup/ad1-navyplane.html

Gossamar wings Bella. Tres romantic if one could see through the wings.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

In reading The Last Battle Station about the USS Houston, twice she tried to launch her scout planes just as she started firing, both occasions the blasts shredded the skin of her planes on the catapults in launch position.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm glad they did it. I'm equally glad I don't have to fly in it. Fragile is an understatement.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

I would love to fly it. They look fragile, but those old aircraft were pretty resilient. My first flight was in an 1929 open cockpit biplane at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York in the early 80's. I tell you it was the greatest feeling, like a roller coaster without rails.

Something about a leather flight helmet, goggles, and having the wind in your face.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The rails were our connection to Earth. Would have lost my XXXX.