Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather's WW2 Stories

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by tsuchad, Oct 25, 2014.

1. tsuchad

tsuchad New Member

I recently joined this forum in search of more information on my Grandpa's service during WWII. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away in 2007 while I was a senior in High School and I never took a lot of interest in his "War Stories" and now I'm regretting it. I want to write out his story so I can pass it on to my children but I can't seem to find any info on the stories I remember his telling. My Grandfather was always a very serious and intimidating man that I was terrified of while growing up. It wasn't until a few years before his death that he softened up and became very friendly. Most of the stories I recall came out of this time.

What I've found out so far is that he was initially in the US Army Air Corp and was in the 8th Air Force, 306th Bomb Group, 369th Bomb Squadron. I remember him telling me he was a nose gunner in a B-24 Liberator and flew quite a bit in the Eurpean Theater. I don't know how long he served there but at some point, he was assigned to a new group where he was given unlimited rank and authority and an increase in pay. So the story goes, after training he and a couple other guys were dropped behind enemy lines in Southern Germany to kill or capture German SS officers and high ranking Germans who were making their way to the Vatican. I remember him telling stories about how they lived with a German Post Master under the story that they were deserters from the US army who were joining the German army. (They also lived in several hotels that he and my grandmother visited in the 1990's. She fortunately is still alive and I'm going to be sitting down with her tomorrow to find out more). I also remember him telling stories about being one of the first people into Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

Saying all of that, does any of this sound remotely familiar to anyone else's Grandfather's War Stories? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheFonz

TheFonz recruit

I don't know about the clandestine operations, but the 306th Bomb Group Association (http://www.306bg.org/) can possibly provide information about his service with them. In particular, there is an archive including a group and squadron diaries and a photo album - you may get lucky.

Are you sure it was a B-24? It looks like the 306 flew B-17's.