Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Brilliant Tanks Index

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Admiral_Humaid, Nov 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Admiral_Humaid

Admiral_Humaid New Member

The Most Impressive Tanks Ever to be Built!
    (1910-1950)
    What do you think are the best tanks to have ever been built? Well for me, the tank I think is the best; is the Hetzer or Jagdpanzer 38(t) (Sd.Kfz. 138/2).

The Hetzer was a Light German Tank Destroyer. It was designed and made in Nazi Germany during 1944-1945 and the Swiss G-13 is based off it. There were approx. 2,800 of them built and it was a very popular tank.

I would post a picture alas I dont ahve the brain-cells to do so. :dance4:
    Here's a link to the picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzer#mediaviewer/File:Hetzer_lesany.jpg
    And here is the Swiss Version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzer#mediaviewer/File:panzerj%C3%A4ger_G_13_-_Steel_Parade_2006.jpg

Whats Yours?

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Unfortunately the Hetzer is not actually a Tank as generally defined, but is a member of AFV (Armored Fighting vehicle) family (as all Tanks are as well). More accurately it is a self propelled, armored anti-tank gun.

While we have other vary similar threads, best tank, what tank would you prefer to fight in, etc, I see no harm in trying a different definition as a intellectual exercise.

Might want to redefine your parameter's as 'best' AFV.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I agree we have had lots of best tank threads, some rather heated. I have come to the conclusion there is really no "best" tank but rather they are all compromises, some obviously better than others and in different circumstances an over different periods of time.

As for AFV's, a better term here, I am partial to the Jagdpanther.....form does follow function here, a handsome, well proportioned vehicle. Good sloped armor, a terrific main gun and at the long distances in the East in a defensive roll a very formidable AFV. The limited gun traverse could give it difficulity in the west. It's shared drive train with the Panther was not the most reliable and the over lapping wheels pron to ice problems. Pick any AFV and list the pluses and minuses is helpful.

I guess it's best match would be a Russian SU-100 and on the US side the quite different M-36, more of a topless tank.

I am sure I am prejudced my the shape of the Jagdpanther !!! I confess.

Gaines

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Hey Gaines, I can see you again! Glad you have regained corporeal form!

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Well not yet. it cannot recognize itself about 50% of the time, login keeps going back to lost history form but Jeff and my university IT team and working on it. I wish my old computer was not dying !!!!

This one auto reverted to the dormant account, no picture !

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

DO NOT Enter the Light!, come back to us! :)