Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching my Grandfather - photos and records

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by bheflin, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bheflin

bheflin New Member

Hello!

I am looking to learn all that I can about my grandfather during WWII. Like many, he spoke very little about his experiences. I have been researching off and on over the past few years but haven't had a lot of luck finding specifics. I have read that there was a fire years ago that resulted in the loss of many files.

I am interested in any information and would also love to find access to a unit history is possible.

I know that he spent time in Alaska (he did something with the post exchange), the Asiatic Pacific, Northern France, and Central Europe (according to the documents I have). I have my grandfather's honorable discharge form. It lists him as being in Co A 118th Inf Regt at the time of his separation on 25 Oct 1945. Does this mean that he served in this unit for the duration of the war?

Where would I be able to find a unit history? When I research the 118th infantry regiment, I find that is left the 30th Infantry division and that is all I can really find.

My grandmother said that at one time he told her that while in Europe, he would "clean up" after battles. Any insight into this?

I do have several photos to share: https://bethanddaveheflin.shutterfly.com/pictures/59

Two of the photos are of his discharge forms. Perhaps someone can provide a little more insight into the things listed on these pages?

I would love to learn more about the patches/buttons he is wearing in the photos. I also found a unique group photo. It is titled "The Eight Balls" in his handwriting. I'm pretty sure it was taken during his time in Alaska. It also lists the last names of the other men with him in the photo.

I appreciate any help, advice, or pointing in the right direction!

Thank you,
    Beth

2. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

It looks like while he was a Staff Sergeant, he was stationed with the 4th Army, a stateside training unit. His form lists him as an infantry and mortarman, with a brief stint as a clerk. What's weird is that it lists the "159th Infantry Division", which doesn't exist. The 159th Infantry Regiment did spend some time in Alaska though, so that might explain something. Other than that I'm pretty useless. Some more knowledgeable members of this forum will have much more to give you.

3. Natman

Natman Member

I think InfantryAttacks is on the right track regarding the 159th Infantry Regiment. ID'ing it as a Division may be a typo on the Separation Report. This link provides some info on the 159th IR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/159th_Infantry_Regiment_%28United_States%29
    Scroll down to the section "Aleutian Islands" which has a concise timeline of the 159th activities. Your grandfather's paperwork indicates he was credited with the Northern France Campaign (July 25 - Sept. 14, 1944). The 159th returned to the mainland on Aug. 20, 1944. He would have had to transfer to a unit in the ETO before Sept. 14 to be credited with the NF campaign. The 159th did eventually enter the ETO but it wasn't until March 18, 45.

If he had somehow gotten into the 118th IR when he went to the ETO, he would have been credited with the Northern France and Rhineland (Sept. 15, 44 - March 21, 45) Campaigns. Here is where I found that info: http://30thinfantry.org/unit_history_118.shtml
    We still have the Central Europe (March 22 - May 11, 45) Campaign unaccounted for?

Another possibility is that he may have been in a totally different unit in Europe and was transferred to the 118th following the end of combat. Many men were transferred to another unit based on the number of points they had accumulated during their service time. The number of accumulated points is what determined whether you were going home soon or remaining on occupation duty.

Hiring a researcher to retrieve his records at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis may be the only way to get the complete story.

Other forum members should be along later with additional insight.

Good luck with your research.

Steve

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/geo1.html

This insignia (in the last picture) is for the Alaska Department beginning in 1943. It looks like the patch he is wearing in the third photo is for the 4th Army, but it's hard to see.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/armies.html
    In the same photo he seems to be wearing a Good Conduct Ribbon and a European-Africa-Middle East Ribbon.(on the right) It's hard to tell with no color.
    [​IMG]
    http://usmilitarystuff.com/air-force-stuff/medals-and-ribbons-1-2/european-african-middle-eastern-campaign-medal.html

5. Natman

Natman Member

Someday I need to learn how to cut/paste items like those patches, Lou. I'm always hesitant to supply links to anything on "angelfire" because of all the popups!

I noticed in the photo provided by the OP that the Alaska patch he's wearing appears to be more crudely made than the one you posted. Top of the bear's head is almost flat in the photo.

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Beth, Here's how I read your grandfather's records.
    He entered the service on 7 March, 1942 and served three months in basic training. He was then assigned to the 159th Infantry Regiment and went with his unit to Attu, Alaska where the 159th was attached to the Alaska Department (this is where the picture was taken with the bears head patch).
    He skipped rank and was promoted to S/Sgt because of his civilian job, and made supervisor of the post exchange at Attu. He served in this position for 1 year and 5 months.

The 159th was pulled out of Alaska and transferred to the 4th Army for combat training. (the other picture shows the 4th Army cloverleaf patch) The unit then left Fort Kilmore on the 7th of March 1945 for the ETO, and arrived in France on the 25th mar. 45. Here they were attached to the 106th Infantry Division.

Affter the Battle of the Bulge the 106 Infantry Division had lost 8,627 casualties-mostly in the first 5 days of the offensive. (he would have worn the Golden Lyon patch of the 106th Division) . The unit entered Germany on April, 25, 1945--the war ended the next month.

The 159th was credited with the Aleutian Island, and North France campaigns, and the 106th ID with Central Europe.

The 118th Infantry Regiment on his separation document was just where he was transferred for separation at Fort Knox.

note- I can't figure out why the 159th was given the N. France campaign credit--I need to do some reading .
    This was very brief, but supper was waiting.

LRusso216 and Natman like this.
  7. LRusso216

I agree,Steve. There are so many pop-ups on Angelfire that it drives me crazy. However, I have not found another site that shows things found there.

The crudeness of the Alaska patch leads me to believe it was theater-made not provided by the army.

Buten has a good summary of the service record. Well done.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

`Beth, I believe he is wearing the Good Conduct Ribbon, and the Asiatic Pacific Service Medal ribbon in his picture with 4th Army patch--he hasn't been to the ETO yet. Besides the medals listed on his separation paper, he would also have the WWII Victory Medal and the Occupation Medal W/ German clasp.

Awarded for

30 or more consecutive days of duty in one of the occupied territories after World War II.[1]
    He didn't get back to the US until 18 Oct 45, and the Germans surrendered in May, 45 so he would have more than enough time to qualify.
    You might ask NARA for a replacement set of his medals--they are still free to next of kin.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

At the end of the war in Europe, the 30th Division (including the 118th Infantry, of course) was designated to head back to the States before being sent back into combat in the PTO. Soldiers of the 30th with high ASR points were transferred to units remaining for occupation duty in Germany. Conversely, soldiers from other units with lower point totals were transferred to the 30th Division to replace them. Fortunately, the war in the Pacific ended while the 30th was on ships in the middle of the Atlantic.

If you are willing to spend some money to get more definitive answers, you could hire a researcher who would track your grandfather's service through unit records such as rosters and morning reports, primarily the latter. Those records were not affected by the 1973 fire.

10. bheflin

bheflin New Member

Wow! Thank you all so much for your insight - you've all been extremely helpful.
    I do have another question, and I apologize if it's a silly one, but I'm still learning... What is the difference between divisions, regiments, etc...?

I know my dad has a box of his medals and some of his patches. I will check when I get home to see if he has all of them, if not, we will request a new set. Thank you for the insight on that as well!!

Also, I know it was mentioned that I could hire someone to research my grandfathers unit records such as rosters and morning reports. Is there an online resource to look through these online?

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Here's a very rudimentary explanation. During WWII, the US Army infantry divisions were composed of 3 regiments. Each regiment was composed of 3 battalions. Each battalion was composed of 3 rifle companies and a heavy weapons company. Companies were composed of platoons, which were in turn composed of squads. The difficult part is that there are lots of exceptions. However, that gives you a rough idea.

Regarding the records I mentioned, they are held at the NARA in Saint Louis, MO. In order to get copies, you would either need to go there yourself or hire a researcher. Personally, I have previously elected to hire a researcher rather than do it myself. I decided that the travel and lodging costs would be enough where hiring someone was not much more expensive.

12. LRusso216

Beth, the primary difference between divisions, regiments, etc. is size. Divisions are larger than regiments. I'm on my phone with no ability to copy. I hope someone else chimes in.

For research, a number of us have had success with Golden Arrow. Geoff at that site can give you prices and advice. Look them up online.

Tommy you posted while I was typing. Thanks for jumping in.

13. bheflin

bheflin New Member

Thank you both! I will look into hiring a researcher... I've already learned so much - what a great group of people on this forum!

14. LRusso216

It's what we do best. Let us know how you make out.

15. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I added some general numbers to Tommy's post for typical Infantry units . Like Tommy wrote- there are many exceptions--Armor numbers and Airborne numbers differ. During combat these numbers are usually much lower until they get replacements.

Concerning the replacement medals, you might send for a replacement set regardless, because there might be something I missed and they would catch it. The WWII Victory Medal was not authorized until 1946 and most of the men were home and wasn't issued one.

Good luck on your quest.
    Dave