Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I Need Help Identifying a Concentration Camp

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Smiley 2.0, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

My dad works at a nursing home. There is a resident who lives there who fought in the war and fought in several battles in the Western theater including the Bulge. He also helped liberate a concentration camp. When I talked to him and asked him what the name of the camp was, he said that he did not remember. He was in the 63rd Infantry G Company, but he didnt remember the battalion or regiment. I looked on the 63rds site and found that the only regiment that was involved in liberating a camp, which was Landsberg, was the 255th. Is there a way that i can access or find a list of names of men who were in the 255th regiment so i can find his name?
    Thank you! :)

2. Takao

Takao Ace

PzJgr likes this.
  3. Takao

Takao Ace

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Thank you so much! I will look into it. Thank you! Thank you! :clap: :dance1:

5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I will ask him. Thank you so much again for finding this!!!

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Schucks, twern't nothing...Google and quotes are your friends.

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Fold3.com has some freebies online about the 255th's liberation.
    Start here: http://www.fold3.com/image/306360857/
    and go down to the "open filmstrip" tab...A lot to see...If you keep scrolling back, they have lists of awards.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good show, Takao

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Well done, Takao. Fold3 has quite a bit of 63rd Division records as well as its regiments. Here's the roster for G Company, 255th Infantry. And, yes, Pvt. Anthony Benedetto is on the roster.

10. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I looked up the residents name on the 63rds roster and apparently he was in the 253rd regiment. I will ask my dad tomorrow to ask the resident about Anthony Benedetto today.
    Regarding looking up 253rds combat actions, I found their after combat reports and I am still looking through it. It's a little hard to read but I'll manage.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

12. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Thank you very much Skipper! :) :dance1: I will pass this along. Thank you all who helped me with this. It means a lot to me thank you!!!

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad I could help

14. Takao

Takao Ace

Skipper for the win!

15. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I have been doing a lot of digging. I have come up with some results. As Takao mentioned the 63rd Infantry division liberated 7 out of the 11 Kaufering camps. Looking at the roster Takao had given me, i found out that the resident was not in the 255th but in the 253rd. At first I thought that he may have helped liberate Kaufering IV, but when i did a little more research on that particular camp, it pointed to that it was 12th Armored Division who liberated that camp. There are several things that I am looking for. I was hoping to figure out the exact Kaufering camp that the resident assisted liberating, and my first step is to find out of the 11 Kaufering camps, which 7 did the 63rd liberate.

I have tried to find out those specifics with no luck, could someone help me with those particular details please? I really appreciate the help you have all given me.

16. Takao

Takao Ace

17. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Just a little update.
    I am still digging around trying to maybe find the specific Kaufering camp the resident helped liberate. However he is very elderly and I as well as my dad who works at the nursing home do not know how much longer he will still be 'around.' So I feel confident enough that I will be writing my own report about everything about the camp he liberated and give it to him and his relatives. I plan on posting a picture of the resident back during the war soon, but I am going to ask for permission to borrow one of those pictures to scan it. Along with the service picture, I will mention the resident's name and rank and a little bit more info on his unit and where he fought in Europe and the Battle of the Bulge. I look forward to sharing that soon.

Although as Takao mentioned it is possible to have been Kaufering III, but I will try to check to make sure.

18. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I am currently in the middle of writing all the stuff that I have found in a report for my dad to give to the resident and his family tomorrow.

TD-Tommy776 and Slipdigit like this.
  19. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I've been doing a little more research on the Kaufering camps, and it is shocking me about how bad the camps were. On June 18, 1944 the first shipment of 1000 Jews arrived at Kaufering arrived from Auschwitz. The concentration camp priest Jules Jost registered the arrival of at least 28,838 prisoners. Apparently 14,500 of them were murdered between June 1944 and April 1945.
    Here is the link to the website where I'm citing this.

http://www.buergervereinigung-landsberg.org/english/historicalfacts/history.htm

You know I've dedicated so much time to finding this, and it feels so rewarding being able to discover what I thought would be impossible to find. I'm not exaggerating but doing this for this resident, allowing him to know the name of the series of camps as he is "approaching his time" makes me feel a little emotional. He will "pass" knowing what he did and where he did it, and its just so hard to put it into words but it is so great to be doing this for him. He spent his whole life not knowing the name of the camp, and when he first told me this I knew that I would have to make it my mission to find the name. This has just been such a great experience for me. I'm looking forward to sharing this with you all.

20. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Just a little update: I will be meeting with the resident and one of his sons on Wednesday.