Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ww2 photos and maps

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by frozentom1, Dec 18, 2014.

1. frozentom1

frozentom1 New Member

2. dude_really

dude_really Doesn't Play Well With Others

He, he, ..now you are obliged to explain how you get a medal as a Draftsman and what does it mean to demonstrate "tireless devotion" as a topographical draftsman ? Working extra hours ? Behind enemy lines ? folding paper planes of our charts and fire them at the enemy ? :rofl:

Despite the lol, always the most respect for all veterans. :S!

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The Bronze Star Medal is also awarded for meritorious service. I suspect that he accomplished more than was expected or anticipated. What he did apparently was important to someone and wanted to show appreciation for the man's diligence.

4. yardism

yardism New Member

What a great collection of items! I would imagine, at the time, a well prepared map was of vital importance. The GPS network was still in beta if I recall...

Thank you Corporal Woodcock!

Thank you for sharing this.

5. Slipdigit

I flipped the Sicily map. Click to enlarge.

Attached Files:

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

dude-really, Really? Ever thought of where those pilots or invading forces landed and/or received the means to fight the War?

If it were not for the efforts of the Combat Engineers many Soldiers, Airmen & Marines would have just been sitting around hundreds of miles behind the Line waiting.

Here's just a small idea of what they went through; http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/07/veteran_recalls_many_duties_an.html

If they needed a bridge, you built it -- in the dark, under enemy fire, whatever it took.
    If they needed a minefield cleared, or planted, you grabbed a bayonet and shovel and started digging.
    Tank coming? Heft that bazooka and hope for the best.
    Such was the duty of Army combat engineers during World War II and a role that Michael Kucharson shouldered with some trepidation.

frozentom1 likes this.
  7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

By the way : Welcome to the forum frozentom1.

frozentom1 likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

First, that is not funny and shows you do not have respect for all veterans. You do not get to mock a veteran's worthiness of receiving an award by tacking on a throw-away line followed by an emoticon salute.

Second, he is "obliged" to explain nothing. If you wish to mock it, you are the one obliged to justify your casual dismissal of a General Order that was issued by HQ 1st Infantry Division. The fact is, you know nothing about what his grandfather did to merit the Bronze Star Medal and, therefore, have no cause to question it.

The next time you don't understand something, rather than denigrating a veteran's service, perhaps you will take that opportunity to educate yourself.

Slipdigit and A-58 like this.
  9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

From one "Frozen Tom" to another, welcome to the Forum, frozentom1!

You have a wonderful collection of items there. I especially like the map showing the advance across Sicily. Great stuff!

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum frozentom. The Bronze Star citation was obviously issued for what Mr. Woodcock did in North Africa, since the invasion of Sicily did not occur until July 1944. GO 64 appears to be the order for the awarding of citations. I certainly would like to know what he did in North Africa to justify the award.

I wonder if the map shows where he was during the invasion of Sicily. Too bad there's no dates on it. Great collection. Could you post larger images of the pictures in the collage?

11. Takao

Takao Ace

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Boy is my face red. I didn't realize the numbers were dates. I thought the represented numbers of days. Glad there's an expert around. :clap:

13. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen on this forum! And thank you Takao for pointing that out, for I too was a little confused as to what the numbers meant. I too would like to welcome frozentom to the forum. Thank you for sharing this with us frozentom, this is by far one of the neatest things I've seen on this forum.

I wish I could like Tommy's post on #8 but for some reason it wont let me saying that I have reached my quota of likes today. So I will take the time to personally "Like" it in words. That was well said Tommy.

14. frozentom1

frozentom1 New Member

15. Slipdigit

I am willing to put cash money on it that he was in the 1st Engineer Battalion, as indicated by the guidon the men are displaying in the first group photo. I doubt you will find much further useful information concerning Bronze Star awards in the 1st ID HQ General Orders, except for the date or range of dates the meritorious service occurred. However, there might be some additional details found in the GO for the battalion itself.

Try looking here: http://firstdivisionmuseum.nmtvault.com/jsp/searchresults.jsp