Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rotation system in WW1

Discussion in 'Military History' started by A-58, Dec 20, 2014.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I couldn't find this anywhere, but I was wondering if there was some sort of rotation system for troops in WW1? If not, I really feel for those guys who were sent in in 1914. 1918 was a looooooong waaaaaaay off. I've read about units rotating out of the trenches for periods of time, but then it was right back into the line once the R & R was over.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

As far as the British army went, it was generally four days in the frontline, four days in close reserve and then four days rest-
    http://www.1914-1918.net/intrenches.htm

I would imagine the other armies were similar.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

That was a very good site for a simple and descriptive idea of trench warfare. I had sort of an idea on how they did it, but was interested in how long a unit would stay in the line. Like the guys who were there in 1914. Did they stay in the trenches until they were KIA or were incapacitated in other ways? Or until the war ended? Or did they pull units out and send them someplace else like another theater. Four years of that life sounds tough.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Their units might get posted to other sectors of the line, but AFAIK they were in theatre until the unit got posted elsewhere. My grandad was with the Argylls in France 1916-19, his brothers likewise (1915 onwards) with other regiments.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

That was no way to live. Certainly no way to die. No wonder they were considered "the lost generation". I cannot even begin to imagine what it was like to be in that unfortunate place for one day, much less having to go the distance. My hat is off to those men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqba0IUdiBk

GRW likes this.