Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ivan Pinfield

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Dec 22, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

From The Guardian-
    "As head of catering at the BBC from 1949 to 1978, my father, Ivan Pinfield, who has died aged 94, ran the BBC canteens that were a haven for the stars and crews of television and radio. But he was also an accomplished actor in his own right.
    After the war, he helped a cousin to run the Gurnard’s Head hotel near St Ives in Cornwall, where he was headhunted by the director of the Royal Shakespeare theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon. Ivan was considered the ideal candidate to open the theatre’s new restaurant. It was here that he met the actor Margaret Courtenay, and began a lifelong passion for the theatre. They married in 1947 and I was born in 1952.
    In 1949 my father had moved to London, taking over as head of catering at the BBC in the early 1950s. In this role he organised catering for performers, journalists, technicians and other BBC staff at every level, in London, Glasgow, Belfast, Cardiff, Plymouth and other centres, and at outside broadcasting events, such as the Wimbledon tennis championships.
    At this time he also took an active part in amateur dramatics, playing big roles such as Macbeth and Prospero. His first marriage was dissolved in 1968, and it was while working with the Questors theatre in Ealing that he met Sandra Wainwright-Fahey, a TV producer. They married in 1970, and had two children, Melissa and Barnaby.
    My father retired from the BBC in 1978 and moved to a farmhouse in Baltonsborough, Somerset, where he developed a smallholding, apple orchard and vineyard. Sandra died before the age of 50, leaving my father to bring up two teenagers on his own. When they left for university, he moved to west Cornwall, where he was reunited with theatrical friends from the Stratford years, David and Eleanor Phethean. On a chance visit to the Gurnard’s Head he met their daughter, Meg. They married in 1996. Ivor played an active role with the local church and did more acting, this time at the world-famous Minack theatre, near Land’s End.
    Ivan was born in Brighton. His mother, Lorna (nee Secretan), ran her own gown business in Knightsbridge, west London, and in Penzance. His father, George Potter, was a garment salesman. After he left, when Ivan was very young, his mother married Reginald Pinfield, a prep school teacher in Brighton. Ivan was educated at Highgate school, London, where he was awarded a full scholarship.
    In 1939 he volunteered for officer training at Sandhurst, and saw active service in the Middle East as a lieutenant in the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). He was badly wounded in Syria and returned to Britain on home defence duties."
    http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2014/dec/22/ivan-pinfield-obituary