Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Liberator, Veteran, and Friend: The Service of Edward Geiser

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Smiley 2.0, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Everyone meet Edward Geiser, also known as "Eddie."

View attachment 21799

Mr. Geiser served in the US army during the Second World War. He served with the 63rd Infantry Division, in the 253rd Regiment, 2nd Battalion, G Company during the Battle of Bulge.
    Mr . Geiser's service is a unique one, because on April, 27-29, 1945, his unit liberated the Kaufering Concentration Camps
    Info on The Kaufering Camps: http://www.buergervereinigung-landsberg.org/english/historicalfacts/history.htm

Earlier this month I had posted a thread asking for help in finding the regimental unit Mr Geiser's was in and asked if someone could help me find a roster of the 63rd Division. Within minutes Takao posted a link of the entire roster of the division during World War Two. Receiving this list was a major breakthrough for me and eventually led me to discover the name of the camp that I was looking for.

Here is a Link to that thread for reference: http://www.ww2f.com/topic/54458-i-need-help-identifying-a-concentration-camp/

Mr. Geiser, 94, is the second veteran I have met, and is one of the most kindest men I have met. He is a very religious man, who had made a hobby of fixing rosaries.

When he was telling me about his service three of the moments he remembers the most were liberating the concentration camp, the temperature being so cold that at one point his feet was partially black, and during the Bulge his unit was strafed by a German fighter.

Mr Geiser also fought at Stein Germany, and was given the Bronze star for his actions there. This is what it says in the citation:
    "Edward J Geiser Staff Sergeant, Infantry, Company G, 253d Regiment, for heroic achievement on April 9, 1945 in the vicinity of Stein Germany. When enemy fire from small arms and artillery halted the attack of the company with heavy casualties, Sergeant Geiser, despite the enemy fire left his covered position and moved from foxhole to foxhole, firing his rifle and rallying his command thereby securing the left flank of his company. Later he lead a squad forward to continue the attack. The cool leadership and coverage under fire of Sergeant Geiser reflect upon himself and are in keeping with the finest traditions of the armed services and forces of the United States."

In Christmas Eve, I presented to him the name of the camp that his unit liberated, and as I presented it to him I noticed that he was crying. He was very grateful for what I had done and continues to be.

Doing this for this man, who his whole life never knew the name of that camp, was an amazing experience for me. I want to thank Takao, Skipper, TD-Tommy776 for their help and references for without their help I would never have managed to get this done as quickly as I did.

Thank you all and have a Happy New Year!

Here he is today

View attachment 21807

Attached Files:

2. thingimibob

thingimibob New Member

Nice story :D

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Smiley, please pass along my thanks for his service to Mr.Geiser.

Excellent work.

4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I will Takao. Thanks again! ;-)

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Well done, Smiley. That was a very wonderful and thoughtful Christmas present you gave to Mr. Geiser. Please also pass on to him my thanks and appreciation of his service and sacrifice.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A very nice story, Smiley.. What you did for Mr. Geiser is beyond any physical present. I'm glad some members of this forum were of some assistance. Extend my best wishes to him, as well.

7. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Something that I forgot to mention. When I first met Mr. Geiser earlier this year, and he told me about his service and liberating the camp, I asked him if he remembered the name of the camp or the town that was around it. He told me that he did not know, because even back then in 1945 they never told him or anyone else the name of the town that was around the camp. So even 69 years ago, he never knew that camp or town's name. For 69 years he lived not knowing that camps name. Hearing that really shocked me.

8. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Also once I ask for permission, I will be posting more pictures of Mr Geiser in Europe during the war as well as a little more info on his service

9. andrwoo

andrwoo New Member

Thank him for me. Nice to see you were able to help him out.

I cleared the colorcast and did some touch ups on his photo, creases and such. I'm no professional.

[​IMG]

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  10. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Thank you very much andrwoo! You did a great job! This is great! :D

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thanks to Mr G, as well as you and MrT. Good work, men.

12. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

You know it wasn't until earlier this week on Thursday when I went to the United States Holocaust Museum that I discovered that the 63rd Infantry division is officially recognized by the museum as a liberating unit.

13. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I got to spend some time to talk with Mr. Geiser yesterday. When I mentioned about his unit being officially recognized by the USHMM as a liberating unit, he began telling just a little bit about that day his unit liberated the camp. He didn't give in depth descriptions but I could tell from his emotions that what he saw has been something that he can never forget. I've begun the process of possibly talking to him more about the camp, but I will have to get the permission of his family, which I understand. And if this goes through, i have to be as careful as i can when i talk with him and not probe and prod, for something like this is hard.

14. ShaneW

ShaneW New Member

Thanks for the story Smiley. And send my thanks to Eddie for his service and sacrifice.

15. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Small Quick Update:
    One of the sad things that I am starting to see, is that it seems like he is starting to show signs of his memory slipping. I would talk to him one day, and the next day I would mention the conversation we had the previous day and he would have trouble remembering it or not remember it at all. Hopefully one day, with the permission of his family, I can sit down with him and we can talk about what he saw that day.

I'll might see him tomorrow and say hello when I stop by my dad's work for a few minutes.

He still keeps the report that I gave him on his dresser, and he told me last time I saw him, that he is grateful for the members of this forum who helped me in my search. Once I again, I cannot thank you all enough for helping me during my search. It meant a lot to me, but it meant a lot to him that you all helped me so much.
    ;)

TD-Tommy776 and andrwoo like this.
  16. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

[​IMG]
    Great work, Smiley. Indiana War Memorial, I Love this one.

Profuse thanks to Mr. Geiser for: his service, sharing his story with you and all of us and for future generations who will have access to it here, for his humanity, and for soldiering on with what must be unspeakable memories of the horrors he witnessed.

These men suffered their PTSD in many ways. A grateful Nation Thanks them daily in many ways but it will still never be enough.

God Bless all the Service Members and War effort supporters for saving the World.

Incessant, TD-Tommy776 and Smiley 2.0 like this.
  17. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

18. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I just found out from my dad that a local magazine might be doing an article on Mr. Geiser based off the research I did for Mr. Geiser and his family.

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

If it gets put online, be sure to post a link to it here.

20. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I sure will. It's a little unclear in when they are doing the story. I know that the editor assigned the reporter to do the story, but my dad and I don't know for sure when it will happen. But when it does I will surely post it here.